Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Heads and Tails

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
HCF Member

ok thanks. so i guess ill have to get the projectors first to see which ones ill need.

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
With the projectors, you will most likely either have H1 bulbs (4 total, 2 for low, 2 for high); or a combination of H1 and H3 (2 H3 for low, 2 H1 for highs).
(those numbers are total, and include both headlights)
so if i understand correctly, i should end up with 4 bulbs and 4 ballasts correct?

and if i wanted to run hids through my fogs then i would need a total of 6 bulbs and 6 ballasts.

Last edited by my99lx; 07-26-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

Hey before you buy any lights consider looking at TYC projectors. I just bought them and they rock. The light output is fantastic, good quality and no halo. And keep in mind regardless of the lights you buy, seal around where the lens and housing meet with silicone.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/1999_2000_...80-6105-40.htm

As far as I know they take 4 H1 bulbs I know mine do but maybe they changed it from 96-98 to the 99-00 version. But keep in mind, HIDs can melt aftermarket housings due to the heat they put out. (EDIT this is incorrect, I need to do more research and not believe what I read on the internet =P)

If I may ask, why do you want 8000k HIDs? Do you want the blue light coming from the headlights? Keep in mind you can get a ticket for that as it may not be a proper or safe light for you to be outputting depending on state laws.

As for tails, Either keep you stockers or get the red/clear ones. None of those Euro or alteeze ones look good.

Last edited by Tiran; 07-26-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tiran
HIDs can melt aftermarket housings due to the heat they put out.
False. HIDs produce less heat than the halogen bulbs they are replacing.

But I do have to agree with the opinion you seem to be expressing. I would stray from HIDs and just look into getting some high quality halogens.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 PM

They won't.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
But I do have to agree with the opinion you seem to be expressing. I would stray from HIDs and just look into getting some high quality halogens.
why would you say that?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 PM

Aftermarket HIDs are overrated. Not all that great. I've been there before, and I know what I like best.
1. They are illegal, unless in a housing that was made for HIDs and was DOT approved. (which is only achieved with a retrofit, unless the car came with factory HIDs, which ours did not.)
2. HIDs scatter light everywhere. They produce a different beam than halogens. This can only be stopped by using projectors (or reflector housings that were made for HIDs... but those don't come on our cars and would be nearly impossible to retrofit)... but I hate projectors. I have had 2 sets of projectors. One set was cheap as can be and had poor light output. The other set was the most expensive I have seen for sale, and they broke while turning the adjustment screw.
3. HIDs have more wiring, and the ballasts, which can clutter the engine bay a bit.
4. Finding a place to mount the ballasts can be difficult.
5. Changing bulbs is a little more difficult.
6. There is more that can go wrong with HIDs. Your ballast can go bad. The bulb can go bad. With halogens, only thing that can really go wrong is the bulb going bad.
7. In the event of a problem, replacing the bulbs or ballasts will take longer than if you just had halogens and had to change them.
8. In the event of a problem, fixing the problem will cost more money

Old 07-27-2009, 08:42 AM
HCF Member

perhaps ill just run with the projectors as is w/out the HIDs for a while and see how everything works out

thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

I have the same car you do in black.

I like the Red/clear tail a lot more than stock. and for the projector headlights, i bought some cheap ebay ones and i like them. And i like having the Halos too lol. i can see why halo's could look bad on some civics, though. And running non HID bulbs in projectors is fine

Now, I'm not sure if I'd like the projector headlights on you car. The reason i like them on my car is cause now it's a black car with black housings......i think the black might look out of place and i'm not a fan of the chrome ones, but it's your car. Do what you want

Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Administrator

stock both ftw! bake your headlights and paint em black if you really want to

Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by My04Civic
stock both ftw! bake your headlights and paint em black if you really want to
Originally Posted by reaper2022
Personally, I'd probably just take apart my OEM headlights and smoke the housings to make them into makeshift Type R headlights.
23 posts late

I have 8000K HIDs. They aren't bad, but I kind of wish I'd have gone with 6000K. After 5000K, visible light output actually starts going down, and to be honest, I can't see s**t in a light rain at dusk/nighttime. For fog lights, I'd recommend either halogen or 3000K HIDs. That's what I'm going to do, anyway (3000K fogs).

Quick Reply: Heads and Tails