Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

how low to go?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Default how low to go?

Hi everyone, i'm about to buy some 16x7 wheels with 45 tyres, and i'm looking to put in some lowered springs until I can get my suspension set up properly when i do my engine swap, my question is i'm not sure how low to go? I have a choice of either getting 2inch or 2.5 inch lowered springs or re setting my stock ones? I don't want slammed but maybe about a fingers width between tyre and guard so it doesn't scrub, I tried to search some pics with specs and comments but came back with nought :-( is anyone out there who can help me out?

thanks so much

Damian

Old 12-27-2010, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

go out with a measuring tape and see. thats my only suggestion

Old 12-27-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nerdfest09
Hi everyone, i'm about to buy some 16x7 wheels with 45 tyres, and i'm looking to put in some lowered springs until I can get my suspension set up properly when i do my engine swap, my question is i'm not sure how low to go? I have a choice of either getting 2inch or 2.5 inch lowered springs or re setting my stock ones? I don't want slammed but maybe about a fingers width between tyre and guard so it doesn't scrub, I tried to search some pics with specs and comments but came back with nought :-( is anyone out there who can help me out?

thanks so much

Damian
What year/model car? If it's an older gen(92-00), you might rub a little if you drop it 2.5" depending on the offset of the wheels. A 2" drop would probably get you a finger gap or near that. Don't know what you mean by "re-setting" your stock springs, do you mean cutting them? If so I'd stay away from that for a few reasons and just stick with aftermarket springs.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:58 AM

Hi guys thanks for replying, by re setting the springs i mean taking out my standard ones and getting them heated and set at the level i want my car to sit at an aesthetically pleasing level without looking like a tractor or scrubbing, I measured some paper at 2.5 inches and held it to my arches today, with the standard 14's and 2.5 drop it appears too low as the tyre will be just under the guard, i'm not too sure how putting 16's with 45 series tyres on would affect the standard ride height? but at this stage if it will sit roughly the same with 16's i'll only go 2 inches?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I would absolutely not recommend heating the springs to lower the car. It will negatively affect the tensile strength of the spring, not to mention you'll have unknown (and possibly different for each spring) spring rates, which is also not a good thing. If you must lower the car using the stock springs, cut them with an angle grinder, hacksaw, etc. It's still not the greatest way to lower a car, but it's the "right" way to cut springs and you'll still be able to calculate the spring rate of each spring should you choose to do so.

But at 2.5", you'll most likely be tucking a little bit of tire. I'd recommend something close to 2" if being too low is a concern. A 2" drop will have a slight amount of gap between the tire and fender, but not too much.