Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Very low idle low rpm when neutral.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Exclamation Very low idle low rpm when neutral.

Ok so i recently bought a 93 hatchback cx.. has a mini me swap done with a Y7 block and i believe Y8 head.. its vtec. Has a mechanical problem with the idle.. when first starting the car it will idle high and low and stay at a very low idle the engine will start shaking and will at times turn the car off.. we've played with the fuel line bolt, that got it to keep the car on but at a very minimal idle and alot of shake from the engine.. Ive had mixed thoughts on what it could be but im thinking it may be the TB.. I'm really trying to get this solved i dont want to get a new TB just yet because thats like $300 and i dont know for sure if thats even the issue... hmm if anyone has had something similar or from mechanical experience can help me get this resolved i would highly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Chubby Chaser

any vacum lines off? have you cleaned the iacv? have you tried jumping the ecu service plug and adjusting the timing? have you checked the mechanical timing?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Clean the IACV and replace the PCV valve. Any CEL codes?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM

i checked the vacuum lines.. like everything seems tight and connected. i have to clean the iacv and the fitv.. i will do that hopefully tomorrow.. uuum im unsure about the ecu i actually im not THAT mechanically inclined but slowly learning.. the timing on the belt all them looked to go in corrected.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by sebdiz
i checked the vacuum lines.. like everything seems tight and connected. i have to clean the iacv and the fitv..
A vacuum leak would cause a high or fluctuating idle, not a low idle, so you can eliminate that from your list. In addition, a bad or dirty FITV would cause a high or fluctuating idle for a warm engine or a low idle only for a cold engine, so also cross it off your list. Concentrate on the IACV and replace the PCV valve.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Chubby Chaser

when your ready to adj the timing to see if it helps, after cleaning the iacv if that dont fix it, click the link on ronj's signature that says 92-00 cel codes, it will show you were the service plug is, you start the car while that service plug is jumped and then you can adj the distributor forward or backward to advance or retard the timing. if you just move the distributor the ecu will compensate and not show any change so you have to jump the service plug, also use a timing light. once its set just remove the wire or paper clip you used to jump the service plug.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Exclamation

Weird.. cause I thought I had already replied a post.. Guess it didn't take.. Well I have no cel on the dash. My friend actually looseed the distributor and moved it up and down an tht allowed the car to stay on.. Raise the idle a lil more but still remained low idle.. Hmm I will try and replace the PVC and clean the iacv to see ifthat hopefully gets it working. I really hope ao.. Will do this either today or tomorrow.. I also bought ngk sparkplugs for a 96-00 EX since that's the head tht it's got and I bght platinum ones even tho the guy told me that they r copper.. My friend had me go with platinum that they are better.. Is that true? Did I get correct ones or shld I need the Copper ones?.. Hmm will also do an oil change replace Pvc I need to buy it I know it's inexpensive and clean the iacv.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Get a timing light and set the timing to specifications. Cleaning the IACV is the first thing to do when there's an idle problem, quit procrastinating about it.

Ordinary stock NGK "V Power" spark plugs are fine. Don't use platinum ones that have more than one side electrode.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Chubby Chaser

when you adjust the distributor for timing you have to have the service plug jumped with a piece of wire or a paper clip. but def clean the iacv first

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Default Yay

Hey guys I finally got around to taking out the iacv and cleaning it out.. So a soon as I removed the jose and two bolts and the plugged in line.. There was a piece of cardborad blocking the iacv from the intake mani.. Like a gasket.. It was weird.. I removed the cardboard and cleaned the iacv put it back in and the idle is working great now I'm so happy. Thanks guys. I really think it was tht piece of cardboard.