Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 PM
HCF Member
Default Lowering

Ok is there an easier way I can lower my 99 Civic without spending the $600+ for a full coilover kit, and also won't kill my springs, struts?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

how much are you wanting to lower? maybe some tein s-techs that drops 1.6 in front and 1.8 in the rear. and now you decide whether or not you want to replace the struts as well. since the s-techs works well with stock struts but of course it will blow out faster than aftermarket struts. the would would probably run you $160-$200. if you dont mind working on the suspension again then use your stock ones, like i did.

OR you can cut your stock springs, unsafe but you will spend a lot less. LOL

Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 AM

Well, by the time you end up buying the bare minimum springs, struts, and an alignment, you are looking at around $450-$600.

Springs (S techs) ~ $175
Struts (I looked up KYB AGXs) ~ $190
Alignment ~$75 (lifetime alignment service ~ $160)

Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 PM
HCF Member

EBAY they sell coil overs for $50 shipped. and as long as you do just a mild drop with them and dont slam it all the way you will get a nice ride for the money. my buddy used a set on his integra and still used his stock struts and just lowered it enough to take out wheel gap. and it rode like new without any problems. so if you are looking for something cheap that works i would suggest that.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:01 PM
HCF Member

Tokico HP advanced handling kit. $400 off Ebay and some come with free shipping. Then $100 for an alignment and your good. Drops about 1.5 front and back. You might however have to buy new bushings, so you better budget in $50-100 for that.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by slammedEF
my buddy used a set on his integra and still used his stock struts and just lowered it enough to take out wheel gap. and it rode like new without any problems.
Your buddy got a good set. As per everything that doesn't have a name brand sold on Ebay, it's hit or miss. OP, if you are willing to spend the $50, take a chance that the set you get fits perfectly, rides nice, and doesn't blow your struts, go for it. However, if you run into problems, or you just simply hate how it rides, you'll end up buying an actual name brand set and have to re-do the entire thing over again.

Do it once, do it right.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by slammedEF
EBAY they sell coil overs for $50 shipped. and as long as you do just a mild drop with them and dont slam it all the way you will get a nice ride for the money. my buddy used a set on his integra and still used his stock struts and just lowered it enough to take out wheel gap. and it rode like new without any problems. so if you are looking for something cheap that works i would suggest that.
The problem with generic eBay parts (excluding simple things like strut bars) is consistency! Just because your friend's eBay coilovers are good does not mean anyone else's will be good. There is little-to-no quality control, and they aren't branded so you won't be able to tell if you're even buying coilovers manufactured by the same person who manufactured your friend's coilovers. It's all a guessing game.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
HCF Member

I just ordered Tokico Hp Shocks-$271.20 ( free shipping) and Tein Stech- $140 (free shipping) so I spent like $411.20. Ive been told by some ppl here and other forums that its a decent drop and a decent product. 1.9 Front 1.7 Back.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
OR you can cut your stock springs, unsafe but you will spend a lot less. LOL
No... just no. That is a very, very bad idea.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Justin13
No... just no. That is a very, very bad idea.
Not all the way... I have a friend who has a set of cut springs who did it the right way.... He was trying to get me to do mine but no thx to that lol....

[[[EDIT: And I have been in his car and it doesnt ride too rough at all, no bump steer ot that ish]]]

If you cut the springs which you probably will not, find someone who has done it many times before and knows the proper way. From what I have ready from reaper [I think] do not have middle of spring cut than welded.. Heat isn't what you want....

Id say go with what brajj said...

Originally Posted by brajj
I just ordered Tokico Hp Shocks-$271.20 ( free shipping) and Tein Stech- $140 (free shipping) so I spent like $411.20. Ive been told by some ppl here and other forums that its a decent drop and a decent product. 1.9 Front 1.7 Back.

Last edited by NIKE H34D; 09-01-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Lowering