Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

My version of a Vtec light

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Default My version of a Vtec light

I've searched quite a few forums and came up with the same thing over and over. And above all, they look hella ****ty in picture. I know that it was not necessary, but i decided to do it just for the fun of it. WARNING: please read through the directions before attempting.

1.) Take out your cluster and remove the plastic covering. After removing you can easily remove the following (sorry don't know the name for it). If you can't come this far without directions, please don't try this.

2.) Look @ where i'm pointing. That is the open space where i put my vtec light.

3.) Turn that over and you'll see a small plastic type covering. Somepeople cut that part out and put in a folder tab. This is where mine is different. Rather than having a crappy/hella ricey tab, i decided to use a cd case.

4.) But before the sign, we must first sand off the black plastic. I used a 400 grit sandpaper and it took me about 6 minutes because i was hella careful. When doing this, you don't want to completely sand it off, but just do it so that it becomes transparent.

5.) After this, print out the VTEC is 10 point Arial font using Word or any other document, then, cut out a cd case and tape it from the back.

6.) Now, we super glue this to the plastic tab.

7.) You'll now have something like this.

NOTICE: its already better than most of the other DIY's because not only is clean looking, but at night its just as bright as the factory bulb so it wont blind you.

8.) Now, put the cluster back in and route the wires to the ECU. Open the cover and locate the GREEN wire with YELLOW stripe. This is the VTEC wire. WARNING: There is also a YELLOW wire with GREEN stripe. This is the Fuel pump wire. When you have found the VTEC wire, use a wire tap and connect the wire from the ecu to the LED.

9.) Now look up and you'll notice this screw. It is what holds the glove box up. Use this as your ground. There are many other places you can use, but i decided to use this one.

10.) Hide all of the wires and put everything back together and take it out for a test drive. If you have done it correctly, it should light up when you hit 5500 rpm.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Default RE: My version of a Vtec light

any pics with it lit up??? very nice write up.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:59 PM

i'll post it as soon as can take one.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i think ya missed a few.........

one where do you run that "GREEN wire with YELLOW stripe." TO?
and is thier a bulb already back thier OR do ya have to instal your own bulb or led?

im very interested cause that seems kinda cool....

Old 08-02-2006, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

i think ya missed a few.........

one where do you run that "GREEN wire with YELLOW stripe." TO?
and is thier a bulb already back thier OR do ya have to instal your own bulb or led?

im very interested cause that seems kinda cool....
there isn't a bulb already there and you need to buy a led from radioshack or somewhere.

You attach the positive of the led to the vtec wire and attach it using a wiretap. ITS REALLY EASY. No cutting required. Also use a resistor on the lead to the ground if it isn't built into the led.

There is already a opening in the back so no drilling is required

Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok.... ya i got some prewired leds layen around
http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds
link for anyone that HATES SOLDERING!!!!!! i did my whole trucks gauge cluster in reg soldering leds and it SUCKED! i wish oznium had prewired leds back then! LOL

Old 08-03-2006, 12:24 PM

Any pictures yet? I would love to see it lit up when you pass 5500 rpm.

Thanks!

Great job!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:55 PM
HCF Member

That is cool as hell! I might try that.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Administrator

[sm=groupwave.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 08-03-2006, 01:47 PM