Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Default steering wheel removal

i have a '99 DX hatchback and the steering wheel has an airbag. i ordered a momo steering wheel that should be here sometime next week. does anyone know how to remove the old steering wheel and what to do about the airbag issue. do you unplug the airbag and keep it in place, or do you completely remove it. will it throw a cel code of removed.

thanks in advanced

Old 11-25-2006, 03:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: steering wheel removal

You have to disable your airbag first. Did you buy a hub with your wheel? And I don't think it will throw a cel.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:23 PM

yes, i bought the hub adapter...just wondering what all was involved with removing the old wheel. i know i have to unhook the battery first, but after that, do i peel the plastic face plate off the steering wheel to get to the air bag and nut that hold the wheel to the steering column? dont really know where to start unless the new wheel comes with instructions on how to remove the old wheel, which i am doubting it does since it is prob a universal application.

thanks

Old 11-25-2006, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

Pay a shop to do it, the air bag could kill you if you mess up. If you still don't want to listen to me then go to Advance Auto Parts and buy a haynes manual and it has step by step of how to disable your airbag and take the wheel off.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

Becareful, the air bag can still go off even with the batt removed. Not only coud it kill you but give u some bat burns, Good luck with it though.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:44 PM
HCF Member

If it kills you I don't think you would be worried about getting burnt.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:26 AM

yea be careful cause the bag can still go off. but here is what u want to do look on the back of the wheel there is a couple of plastic tabs that come out and then u can get to the bolts that hold the airbag on .. do not remove the plastic covering on the front of the bag . after u remove those bolts u can pull it out then u will have to unplug it this is when u don't want to be in front of it. then there is this wire thing that gives the airbag power it looks like a spool so when u turn the wire doesn't get tangled. then u will see the big nut and u probably need a steering wheel puller i did atleast there like 10 bucks at autozone. but i throw my airbag light now i removed both of them. be careful and have fun

Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 AM

Not to hijack your thread, but let me know how that goes.
It may sound crazy but I'd actually like to do the opposite. I've got a 4th gen hatchback and I'll be driving alot of highway miles next year(2 hour commute). Has anyone tried adding an airbag to a honda that didn't have one to start out with? Would I have to wire up anything other than a bumper sensor and a speed sensor? Is this even safe? I feel comfortable with electronics but with exploding bags--now that I am not so familiar with....
Thoughts, anyone?
Thanx

Old 12-04-2006, 12:19 PM

I read in this customizing book you can get styling rings to go around the wheel... but doesn't cover the centre air bag. I've tried searching thru ebay but haven't had any luck. Anyone seen any of these advertised??? apparently you just stick it onto ur wheel... they come in woodgrain/ carbon fibre etc.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

lol do u mean a wheel cover?