Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Tint Good stories?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:46 PM
HCF Member
Default Tint Good stories?

well after researching this stuff for a while now....i have heard "just get it done professionally" like 23578934568 times. But i also have heard "its not that hard DIY" equally as much. One of my buddies did his mustang, 20$ worth of tint, 3 hours, and it looks like a professional joband it was his very first time. On this site inparticular, it leans more towards the professional install, so my question is Who has done it themselves, or who has had a good experience with DIY tinting? Pics would be niice too. Not looking for the same usual ppl to say get it done professionally, just ppl who have done it personally will be good. Thanks! Keep in mind that this is the difference between 20$ and 300$

Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tint Good stories?

Well i'd say go Professional .. You could easily DIY but in the long run you might regret it cuz you could do great geatin on but after a while little bubbles started to form and you start getting pissed once it peels but if you get it professionally you have a less chance of having bubbles and if you do get bubbles go back and make them do it again! They will and they can't complain! plus they've done it a crapload of times !! so experience is key too!

P.s. if you do it yourself don't put the windows do right away!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:57 PM
HCF Member

well i did try to do my front windows myself once, but it was a waste of money cause i completely ruined it, then got it done professionally

Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 PM
HCF Member

Its all about warranties... make someone else do it and they are responsible for it. Worth the price.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TheMoogly

Its all about warranties... make someone else do it and they are responsible for it. Worth the price.
+1 exactly my point ... do it yourself who you gonna yell at ?? the tint no i don't think so haha get it done professionally who you gonna yell at .. MANAGEMENT maybe get a deal out of em lol

Old 05-23-2007, 03:31 AM

You guys don't read too well, he said he wants to hear from people who have done it themselves, not the nay sayers......

I started doing mine (still have'nt done the back window) and it isn't hard at all. As a matter of fact, the tint business is quite the racket. People don't have confidence, or maybe the patience to do it themselves and are willing to pay a 1250% markup for someone else to do it. Get a pre cut (laser cut) kit, and take your time, it really isn't that hard. As far as bubbles appearing, that is BS. If you get all of the bubbles out during the install, none are going to magically appear, once the adhesive is cured bubbles don't just show up.

If you are fairly confident about your ability to take on new tasks with minimal instruction it is a hell of a way to save some green. I don't have any pictures, but I can try and remember to take some (I don't take pics of the car because my wife did quite the number on it, and all of the panels don't match). I would not recommend buying your typical walmart brand rolls of tint as a beginner, get the pre cut ones off of ebay.

What have you got to lose, worst case you waste $20, best case you save $200. Besides, your friend has already done it before, and it sounds like it turned out well.....

Old 05-23-2007, 08:43 AM
HCF Member

My friend did his own tint, the sides came out like **** because you got to tint it wile the windows are up, so now theres big gaps around the parts that he couldnt get to. And the back window curves, so he always got folds in the tint at the sides and bottoms of the window, he tried cutting it in half, but it makes it even harder. He never did the back window lol. He ended up taking it all off and getting it done in a shop. BTW..if you mess up, taking it off is no easy task eather.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

have a shop do it, usually i try to DIY, but having a warranty and having somebody thats done it a million times is better than the satisfaction of DIY

Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM

Your friend should slow the hell down. The back side windows were the easiest ones, no creases or anything. No offense, but I wouldn't let him work on my car if he couldn't get those. As for the front sides, ou can either take the windows out, or start with it down a little and roll it up to finish. Even a professioinal has a gap around the edge of the window, it's the nature of the beast. I haven't done the back window yet, and it will probably be difficult, but come on.....

If your not going to get the right tools for the job and do a half *** job then your best to pay a proffesional. If you're positive, and take your time, you can get really good results. Aparently not many people here have faith in their abilities, or are talking with zero knowledge of the process involved. It's not that tough, point blank. Take it for what it's worth. Think of what you could do with the $200 you save though.....

Old 05-23-2007, 12:14 PM

Get a pro to do it. You'll thank yourself.

Quick Reply: Tint Good stories?