Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

tint or paint my tail lights??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
HCF Member
Default tint or paint my tail lights??

What's up everyone

Basically I tinted my tail light but due to all the curves and the stamped dot #'s the tint didn't look all that great on my tail lights. I did like how the tint adds the black glossy shine to the tail lights as it goes great with my paintjob but the tints don't look right on the tail lights themself (it lifted at soeme points,it didn't curve correctly on other parts)...

So basically what I'm asking is,what would or how would you guys handle this??

Tint the tail light? and if so do you have a pro do it for it and what would be the price range

Or

Do you paint them? If so what paint would u use,I would like it to have the same glossy/shiny effect that the tint has if possible.

But thanks every1 for reading and any advice,

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Super Cereal Admin

You could paint them... grab a can of VHT Niteshades and a good can of gloss clearcoat and you should be good to go.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

+1.. if you can find the VHT Niteshades

Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

i got some tint off ebay like $15 it turnd out good. IT wasint sticky on one side, i just used sticker on, and moved it in place and it holds up to car wash. And its easy to peel off if you want to remove it. not shore if you can re use it after. I also have blue tint for the front head lights, that is sticky on one side. i havint put it on yet.

Let me know if you want to know the seller. the rear was $15 and front was like $25.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

i would paint them instead of using tint film. VHT Nightshade is an excellent paint to use. if it's done right it will give you the gloosy look. more durable and easier to do than tint. a couple of members on here has use VHT and came out great.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

I dont know if its easy than tint. Dont you have to remove your lights to paint? I dont recommend VHT, becuase over time you may not like the look.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 AM
HCF Member

thanks for the response everyone, so basically buy the vht and sand the lights lightly,clean good and add a couple of light coats right? (i read some of the other post )

the only thing im scared of if it would come out like a flat black,or i would deff need a can of clear coat ??

Last edited by madjoker14; 02-25-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:01 AM
HCF Member

hm, never knew there was paint for the lights, good to know

Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by enigma34
I dont know if its easy than tint. Dont you have to remove your lights to paint? I dont recommend VHT, becuase over time you may not like the look.
Yeah, you have to remove them, but it's not like it's that hard. And if you get tired of the look of them, wetsand the paint off and buff the headlights... good as new

And the paint itself is a mid-gloss paint, but it depends on the lens color; for example, my tails are flat black since the taillights were red, but my headlights are semi-gloss because the lenses were clear. If you want it super glossy, just find some good gloss clear and give the lights a few coats of clearcoat.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

Just the info i was looking for, thanks, so just to get it stright,

just buy the vht paint, remove the headlight/ tail lights and give them a good scrub w/ 1000g sandpaperand clean really good,

next spray a couple of light coats on the headlights/ tail light untill you like and put back on the car and enjoy,if there not too glossy then get a good gloss and add a couple of light coats

to remove the vht paint just sand off with what 1000g sand paper and buff out like you would a car??

but again thanks for the info man, it was great,btw im i on the path...

Quick Reply: tint or paint my tail lights??