Lighting & H.I.D.'s Post here about lighting, From exterior lighting to inside lighting.

Instrument(gauge) light fix with aftermarket stereo:help

Old 05-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Default Instrument(gauge) light fix with aftermarket stereo:help

I recently put in an aftermarket stereo in my 99 civic ex and after about a month the light for the gauges went out so they don't turn on with my headlights. Also the headlight chime doesn't work now either. I checked the fuse and it was blown so I replaced it with another 7.5A fuse. This one lasted about 5 days and now the lights are out again. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this? I read I shouldn't put a higher amp fuse in so I don't know what else I can do. Thanks

Old 05-21-2012, 06:46 AM
HCF Member

Tell us more about the new head unit and the installation. Could be something as easy as a bad ground, but without info on the rest of the setup, there's not much help to offer.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM

It's a kenwood KDC-252U I bought an installation kit and a wiring harness and simply connected the wires on the wiring harness to the new radio, I didn't connect the 2 orange wires that say dimmer because I was told your not supposed to. I plugged the harness from the car into the new connected harness and it was fine for about a month. The radio is fine I'm only having problems with the gauge light and headlight chime. I think it's just that I don't have enough power to power the radio and everything else but I don't know any way to fix that.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
HCF Member

Sounds like a clean install, and you should have enough power for the head unit on that circuit. I was just asking because I've seen a lot of hacked-together wiring splices that just turned into electrical nightmares.

Did you just do the head unit, or did you add anything else (like an amp or powered subwoofer)? I'm not sure that it matters, but did you need to keep the OEM head unit for the keyless remote to work (can't remember if that was changed by '99 or not).

Old 05-21-2012, 01:23 PM

Yeah I read about a couple people having a bunch of problems from playing with the wires. But I haven't added an amp or sub but I replaced the bottom speakers on the driver and passenger door but that was months ago and I haven't had a problem. And no the keyless remote still works nothing was effected there. I've heard people having problems because of the dimmer switch but that doesn't make sense to me because the unit still works when i replaced the fuse.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 PM

Bump.