Lighting & H.I.D.'s Post here about lighting, From exterior lighting to inside lighting.

Is this too much for HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 AM

I have a hid kit that I was able to get for around $40 at the flea market with the ballast. My bro installed them it didn't take long to do either. About 15mins to connect.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Why buy HID, pay way to much money, not be able to see right, and blind oncoming traffic? What if I told you how to get more light without using illegal and blinding HIDs and have a nice crisp cutoff. Why HIDs? They look stupid and just throw light everywhere except where you want it. Let me know if you want better legal lighting. I'm not selling anything, just informing you. I have a 98 Civic and it lights up the night sky like the sun. You have one on of the 4 best Halogen bulbs ever created. The H3, H4, 9005, & 9006 are the best because you have so many options of halogens.

Here is an example of how to get more light and still have a factory cut off without pointless HIDs. A Chevy Silverado uses an 893 style bulb for its fog lights which requires 37.5w of power. Well, it just so happens that the 885 is exactly the same but uses 50w which is 12.5w of extra power. Doesn't seem like much but you have just turned your fog lights into high beams while still maintaining a factory cutoff because the fog lights were designed for halogens, doesn't matter the wattage. And the factory wiring is good up to about 70w so no need to replace anything expect the bulb. You can do similar things with this generation of Civics. I personally have 6 lights on mine; 2 Headlights, 2 OEM Foglights (Clear), and 2 Driving lights that I installed on my custom light bar for a 98 Civic. Look at halogens first as they can pass any test and you can blend in with traffic and not look like a blue blinder.

Last edited by DIY-RallyEdition; 02-22-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:59 AM

id suggest craigslist.i found my hid kit used for 20$

and they work pretty good

Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 PM

Yeah, i don't have the 98 civic anymore :/ i was actually asking for my ej1. I did have them installed at a shop in my town and I've had them for a couple months now. I won't lie, they kind of suck. My car had bi-xenon [is that how you spell it?] lights and it light up the road perfectly. I don't know wether bixenons and HIDs are the same thing, i think they are, but i might just go OEM. :?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Default Hid

My bad. And bi-xenon is form of HID lighting similar to dual filament bulbs which contain a low and high beam. It is my understanding that bi-xenon is achieved only from the factory where the cutoff within the projector raises and lowers or a motor physically moves the entire headlamp assembly, both of which would either let out more light or raise the light making the intense beam project farther. My .02 cents though all wannabes will dog on me; HIDs in a factory designed halogen headlamp = terrible idea due to glare, zero cutoff, way to much light. Good luck with your HIDs. I'm glad that it is more of a college / high school upgrade and there are none around here so I deal with a few every month unless I go south.

I love when they (illegal HIDs) are coming at me as you can blatantly tell from however far away you are that they are PnP so I just get ready, pull back on the headlight lever, turning on my lows, highs, fog lamps, and driving lights. You know what they do? Nothing, because they can't. It's hysterical! Now they know what it feels like to be blind and worse because all my bulbs are correct, giving me a perfect beam pattern with all the light focused in your eyes.

Here's a picture of my car and what happens when you come at me with PnP HIDs. Halogens for the win!

Attached Thumbnails Is this too much for HIDs?-my-car.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM

haha nice. it's like a solar flare coming at you! lol
yeah, i think i might just keep them on for now until i save up enough to do a legit upgrade. until then...HIDs for me

Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Default HIDs

Do whatever you want to do. If you can wire or learn it really isn't all that expensive to get some serious light out of Halogens. Cheaper then paying for an HID kit.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

I got PnP HID bi-xenon lights in my 97 Civic and they don't blind oncoming traffic. That's because I know how to change the aim of the lights. I was coming to work driving behind a NYPD cruiser this morning and he didn't pull me over. I got the PnP 6000K bi-xenon kit with digital slim ballasts from Kensun.com and they work awesome. Their customer service is top notch too.

Just make sure when you install the wiring harness, to run it down along the front of the engine compartment. If you run it along the firewall, you're going to get radio static due to EM interference.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by GreenToy
I got PnP HID bi-xenon lights in my 97 Civic and they don't blind oncoming traffic. That's because I know how to change the aim of the lights. I was coming to work driving behind a NYPD cruiser this morning and he didn't pull me over. I got the PnP 6000K bi-xenon kit with digital slim ballasts from Kensun.com and they work awesome. Their customer service is top notch too.

Just make sure when you install the wiring harness, to run it down along the front of the engine compartment. If you run it along the firewall, you're going to get radio static due to EM interference.
ugh i hate that i get interference when i turn on my lights.