The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

The 7 Worst Ways to Mod Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by justinwebb
i have helped cut someones springs before, he wanted it done cheap and helped i was like well have fun with the bouncy car now....i think he still has it too hahaha
You know what? Do me a favor and go to the local bookstore and pick up two books: Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams (look at pages 33 and 35) and 1,001 High-Performance Tech Tips by Wayne Scraba (specifically, page 86, #510). Guess what... there's a correct way to cut springs. Just because it sounds ghetto doesn't mean it is. You think if I threw ground controls on a civic with stock shocks it wouldn't bounce? Upgrade the shocks like you'd do if you were buying lowering springs and you won't have any problems provided you actually cut the springs the right way.

At any rate, the article is more bulls**t rambling than anything. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems to me that the author doesn't seem to know much about cars, despite what he/she thinks. And linking to wikipedia about the BOVs? Really? I didn't know we had someone from a school newspaper writing this thing. Wikipedia's a great site, but I wouldn't use it as a source document for anything. And if that porsche's tiny spoiler is all any car should need, why does the McLaren F1 LM have a huge spoiler? What about the Ferrari F50? And what about this Murcielago? I'm sure the car is sitting on the ground with nice low skirts and a nice huge wing for aesthetic purposes, right?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM
HCF Member

No point in going into depth, people just like to blow things out of proportion.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 PM
HCF Member

+1 for you. Couldn't agree more. The previous owner of my SI cut the springs and let me tell you, it's the most annoying ****ing thing I have ever driven in my life, but that will change. lol Not only that, but because they were cut, my alignment is now ****ed up and she pulls to the right, HARD. I can't EVER let go of the steering wheel. AND my tires are bowed WAY in, which means I now have uneven treadware as well. The inside of my front tires are wearing instead of the middle.

So if you are thinking about cutting springs, DON'T. Your car will hate you and you'll end up hating yourself.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by justinwebb
i agree with you i always see them and say wow im glad you have the lettering on the windshield cause i wouldnt have known what car you have if you didnt...sooooo tacky
hey... i have honda on my windshield..i think its no diffrent than having them i love my honda sticker. im just showing my love for honda on the windshield. but if it says civic than ya its tacky, if it says honda its not.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by enigma34
hey... i have honda on my windshield..i think its no diffrent than having them i love my honda sticker. im just showing my love for honda on the windshield. but if it says civic than ya its tacky, if it says honda its not.
SHowing love and announcing to thieves that you MIGHT have something worth hijacking.

Hence I am opposed to ALL stickers on windows.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by SIstyle
SHowing love and announcing to thieves that you MIGHT have something worth hijacking.

Hence I am opposed to ALL stickers on windows.

Ya, i stop my self from buying a big JL sticker for the rear window..lol

Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
HCF Member

YEp, bad idea. If I had stickers on my windows, I probably would've gotten my system jacked when they tried to take my car, but because I had no indications, they didn't think to look after they realized they couldn't start my baby.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM
HCF Member

Idk how BOV is on here... I never thought BOV's were annoying. I like it a lot...

gayness.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by SIstyle
+1 for you. Couldn't agree more. The previous owner of my SI cut the springs and let me tell you, it's the most annoying ****ing thing I have ever driven in my life, but that will change. lol Not only that, but because they were cut, my alignment is now ****ed up and she pulls to the right, HARD. I can't EVER let go of the steering wheel. AND my tires are bowed WAY in, which means I now have uneven treadware as well. The inside of my front tires are wearing instead of the middle.

So if you are thinking about cutting springs, DON'T. Your car will hate you and you'll end up hating yourself.
Read me previous post... and we need a facepalm smiley. I've asked for one like a billion times, but do we have one? Of course not.

*edit: And get your d**m car aligned. You act like because someone (probably improperly) cut your springs (and probably put the stock shocks back on), your alignment is jacked for life.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 AM
HCF Member

I put civic on my windshield because I currently live in Germany and constantly get asked by Germans what kind of car it is. Civics arent nearly as common out here and the body style's differ slightly from the American ones. Most of the civics out here are American owned. The funny thing I still get asked alot what kind of car it is even when they're looking directly at the windshield. Plus, I cant say that I dont like the look, and its my car so who's gonna stop me. I like what I like. To each man his own.

Quick Reply: The 7 Worst Ways to Mod Your Car