The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Any Auto Mechanic's Here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Default Any Auto Mechanic's Here?

I am currently in college in buffalo and was thinking about changing majors for automotive. Just had some questions I wanted to throw out there to see if its what im looking for. I love to work on my car and help people with their cars. I grew working on my car and many cars. My uncle use to race stock cars so i'd always be around him and trying to help. Jus wondering like what the average income everyone makes and if it is a good career to pursue at this time in the world ya know?

Old 03-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Any Auto Mechanic's Here?

Theres a few people floating around with a tag under their username that says "TECH CERTIFIED" Those are the dudes you want to talk to.

IMHO, an ideal job shouldnt focus on the income. If it's what you love to do, and can keep you fanancially sound enough to have and support a family, and a project or two, than do it and you will forever be a happy man.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:12 AM
mxs
HCF Member

what are you studying right now?

Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

I think that an ASE Master Certified mechanic makes around 80K if you work for a dealer. If you really wanna be a mechanic, maybe you want to go to a 2 year trade school. In my area, we have UTI which is a 2 year school for mechanics. After you complete the first year, which pretty much teaches you how to work on any car you can go to a manufacture specific program or other programs. The manufacture program has to accept you, there is a GPA requirement to get in and some of them also require you to have a clean driving record. After you finish the manufacture program, you have alot better chance of getting a job at that manufacture. I know that Wyotech has a similiar program. I don't know that any four year school offers a program like that.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:29 AM

My bf changed his major to auto last term. His plan is to get ASE certified, work for a dealership, then hopefully run his own shop. My uncle that has his own shop has hella money. Im not positive about the numbers, but he has everything he wants, and is on vaca half the year, while the mechanics and receptionist work at the shop. Like forty said, if its something you love doing, then it would be worth it.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:42 AM

yeah, you can make good money if you own your own shop. my uncle owns a muffler shop, and he owns a huge house, a 69 camaro z28, 03 c5 corvette, 70 chevelle, and a big *** boat.

but working for a dealer you will make enough money if your busy, because if ypur not working you don't get paid if your flat rate

Old 03-08-2006, 12:43 PM

Yea, I def. love working on cars. I am currently at Daemen College in Buffalo, NY studying Physical Therapy. Which is a 6 year degree....the bad part. My current GPA is a 3.3 so i dont think i would have much trouble getting into any other school. Seeing how Daemen has one of the hardest and top PT programs. If i transfer'd i'd most likely go to SUNY Canton which has the 2 year program. They have one of the top ranked auto programs in New York or something like that. And it is close to my hometown. But yeah i was just mainly wondering if the income was good enough to support a family and have all the toys and projects that i love to do.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Djohnsto

I am currently in college in buffalo and was thinking about changing majors for automotive. Just had some questions I wanted to throw out there to see if its what im looking for. I love to work on my car and help people with their cars. I grew working on my car and many cars. My uncle use to race stock cars so i'd always be around him and trying to help. Jus wondering like what the average income everyone makes and if it is a good career to pursue at this time in the world ya know?

go for an automotive engineer and help design some cool stuff instead of the crap american makers are putting out now. Work your way up to head-cheese and dictate policy. 'No cars leave here unless they are the coolest thing on the road!' But then by the time you graduate GM will be bankrupt so you'll have to go to work for honda.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

My Father and I have run Bergman Motors which we deal with motor swaps to A\c work.Mostly GM but I tend to work on imports anytime I can.He owns a 5 car garage with office and we live on the beach.He is ASE certified Master Tech and I am taking My test on the 11 of May A1 which is engine,A3 which is stearing and suspension,A5 which is Brakes,A8 which is engine performance numbers maybe a little off I left my papers in the truck.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:08 PM
HCF Member

If your a mechanic, but your not good at it you won't make much money. Mechanics get paid by how much work they do. If there is a job that is 1.5hrs, you will get paid for 1.5 hours regardless of if you do the job in 1 hr or 5 hrs. Thats one of the biggest things that is keeping me away from being a mechanic, and i'd rather work as an engineer.

Quick Reply: Any Auto Mechanic's Here?