The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Anyone else's gas bill skyrocket??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 AM
Default RE: Anyone else's gas bill skyrocket??

I don't know where you live but here in indiana it gets
pretty cold all winter. When we bought our new house
five years ago we bought it with an electric heat pump
because we had gas heat in our old house. The rates were going
up even then. Our house now is 2000 square feet and our electric
bill is about 110.00 a month and not on a budget. This is for
everything, not just heat. Our gas bill alone in the old house
was more than that and that house was 1100 square feet.
Then we had an electric bill on top of that. We leave our heat on all the time.
In summer we leave the air on all the time. If you turn it off it costs more
to recover ( air or heat ) than if you leave it on.
If you plan on staying in your present home get some brochures
on heat pumps. I would recommend amana because it has an auger
type compressor instead of a piston pump. it works like a supercharger.
it is the most efficient as far as I know. We are so glad we made that
decision just because natural gas has now gone through the roof so to speak.
and it will probably go even higher.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: sacicons

electric is generally more expensive than gas, but the cost of gas is high this year, so they are about the same. hey 40, when that happened to Leviii, he had a hot water leak under the slab floor, and was heating the water constantly. it got from under 100/month to over 500. you might look into something like that. make sure the units are close to the same, and its just the price per unit thats up drastically.
no kidding?? That may be a factor. Did it affect his shower at all? Because when I get in my shower in the morning, I can only turn the cold water on a TINY bit, and I get probably 3-5 minutes of hot water. Lori showers about a half hour after me and says that she does not have the same problem. I dunno, I'm going to call my landlord today and tell them to come check everything out.

oh, and the price per ccf did go up, but the bill here says that last month my average ccf was 3.2, but this month it is 8.3. [:@]

Old 12-29-2005, 08:11 AM
HCF Member

oh yeah, youve got other issues, unless theres an obvious reason youre actually using that much more. like last month it was 40 degrees at night, and this month it is 4.[&:] but if its messing with your hot water like that, then that sounds like a leak. get on it ASAP, because it will only get worse.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: sacicons

oh yeah, youve got other issues, unless theres an obvious reason youre actually using that much more. like last month it was 40 degrees at night, and this month it is 4.[&:] but if its messing with your hot water like that, then that sounds like a leak. get on it ASAP, because it will only get worse.
awesome, thanks man, I'm sending the maitenence dude over there right now. I knew something wasn't right, because we definitely haven't done anything different in the last month.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Well, my maintenence guy came over and found the problem... Turns out the filter in our furnace was so clogged, that the air wasn't getting to the rest of the house, and therefore the furnace was running 24/7, instead of being intermittent. So, we'll see what next month's bill looks like, it's gotta be better than $350[:@]

Old 01-05-2006, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

Funny that this came up again... we ran out of fuel oil last night... it's cold as a ***** in here and I've had both fire places going all day.[:@]

Old 01-05-2006, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

Hey Forty, youre looking to buy a house? How old are you again? What do homes sell for over there? I stil llive at home, but im saving, personally id like to skip the renting phase and just buy, but i need a good $50,000 to toss down on a house. For $250,000 you can get an "okay" condo around here, but nothing too nice. What do homes sell for around you?......i know u do graphic design @ work, what kinda money are you making brother? lol

Old 01-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

amg, that sucks buddy, good luck stayin' warm

ORIGINAL: pcupo12
What do homes sell for around you?......i know u do graphic design @ work, what kinda money are you making brother? lol
haha, I'll be 23 in May, how old are you?? Houses are a LOT cheaper round these parts than most other places. Put it this way, our price range is only 105-135k, and heres a few options we've found

3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, 2000+ sq ft, oversized two stall garage ([sm=drooldude.gif]), on a big lot in the city - $135,000
4 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, 1500sq ft, two stall garage, good lot with brand new floors, roof, piping/wiring - $125,000
3 bed, 1 bath with all necessary piping run to accomodate a full second bath, 1600 sq. ft, 2 car garage etc.. - $114,000

See what I'm saying, cost of living here in Michigan is pretty damn cheap.

I definitely recommend just skipping the whole rental step and buying a house. At least then its an investment, and not just "a place"

Old 01-05-2006, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

amg, that sucks buddy, good luck stayin' warm
We got a delivery of fuel... nice and warm again.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

forty, youre only 22 and youre engaged? you crazy sumbitch. oh wait. i was only 21[&:]

and BTW, i hate you. those are 400k dollars homes here[&:] im looking at a crapshack thats going to need to be gutted and rebuilt (gotta love being a remodeler though) and they are asking 295k. 1151 sq ft. 3bd, 2 ba, 2 car.[&:]

Quick Reply: Anyone else's gas bill skyrocket??