The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Anyone have a Macbook?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 PM
HCF Member
Default Anyone have a Macbook?

Well I am in need of a new computer soon because mine is starting to crap out on me. I will need a laptop for college and from what I have read the macbooks seem to be a pretty good computer that would fit my needs about right, I am a pc guy but my friend has a mac and has been happy with it. I was wondering if any of you have had a macbook, more specifically one of the new ones, if so have you had any trouble with it? I have heard they are excellent but wanted to hear it from somebody I know isn't being paid to say it.

thanks guys, also any other reccomendations of a good laptop? will be using it mainly just for the internet and school stuff so don't really need any insane graphics or stuff like that.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Anyone have a Macbook?

I have a Sony Vaio BX660 and I love it. I like it better than my desktop which is a Intel E6850.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

I have an older iBook. Runs like the first day I got it. I love it.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

I have a Sony Vaio BX660 and I love it. I like it better than my desktop which is a Intel E6850.
never can go wrong witha Vaio

Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 AM
formerly aryiman98civic

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

ORIGINAL: Marty

never can go wrong witha Vaio
ya you can. i have a desktop which has crashed on me 3 times within one year.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:46 AM

I've got a core duo macbook pro, and my brother has a core duo macbook.

you really can't go wrong with an apple product.

also, if you're buying it for college, check to see if your school is part of the apple education group, which will give you a 10% discount on hardware.

I love my MBP, and my brother and I are getting our father a 20" iMac for christmas this year so we can stop having to support and help him with windows.

there's a lot of features packed into every one, and the new version of OS x (10.5/leopard) has a ton of nifty features built into it.

i believe consumer reports has rated the pro line of laptops as the best value for the money since they were released.

also, the support for them is great, especially if you spend the money on the AppleCare Protection plan (3 year warranty). you can take your mac to any apple store to the genius bar and have them look at it, there's free training at every apple store, and there's promotions to help people who are switching adapt to mac.

it's a great experience, and in the year and a half I've owned my MBP, I've taken it in for a few minor service issues (downfall of buying a revision 1 product), but I've always had it back within a week, sometimes within a day of dropping it off. But it's never had a major crash, and the only time i've shut it off is during take off and landing on my way to vacation in hawaii. beyond that, it's on pretty much 24/7, with the random restart here or there for updates etc. I just installed the new version of OS X the other day, and it makes me love my mac even more.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:07 PM
HCF Member

If your a newbie to laptops, go with Dell. Pretty good reliablility, and good customer service, IMO. I have heard some horror stories, but my experience has generally been a good one. Apples are cool too, I just don't know how to work one. Plus, if you're into games, or the ability to right click, you may want a PC laptop as opposed to Apple.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

i've got a Macbook and i love it. I almost never used Mac's before this year at college, but im getting SO used it, its pretyt good, you just totally need a right click mouse, tahts the most annoying/frustrating part about them, no right click sucks.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

My family has MacBook and Powerbook laptops, a 20" iMac, and an eMac. Mine is the MacBook. It's a great product. Can't go wrong.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:04 PM
HCF Member

Ok sorry to any mac fans, i dont want to start and debate here but this is just my opionion:

Macs used to be superior to PC's but are know longer. As far as software available, PC beats them hands down, (even though over the past few years it has gotten a little better), you can't upgrade them really, (just throw it away and buy a new one), you don't get what you pay for (they are majorly overpriced), and you will have just as many problems as a PC despite what apple claims. I mean come on, there first reason to buy a mac on apple's website is: "It just works!" Lol, give me a break. If apple would have made good marketing decisions years ago they would probably be mainstream, but they didn't so there not, and never will be. IBM and Microsoft made it possible for almost every American to own a computer, well apple did not. If you are not really into computers and just want something basic that is user friendly and will work out of the box, and you are willing to pay the insane price, then yeah I guess I would say get a mac. But if you ever plan on really expanding the capabilities of your computer, gaming, or compatablilty in general, then definately go PC. Plus with PC your not limited on your OS, you can easily upgrade, there cheap, and very very compatable! Again this is just my opinion on the matter (I have used both macs and PCs, in fact I grew up using a mac) so I don't want anyone to take this personally.

I would also encourage you to watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl92gFJFtjY
If really believe that macs never crash, lol.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Macbook?