The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

This is the domestic car to freak some people out....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Default RE: This is the domestic car to freak some people out....

ORIGINAL: bobbytonic

The Solstice is a 2.4 DOHC VVT 177hp.
VVTi, you mean? Am I missing something or does the solstice utilize a toyota motor

Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 AM

Not sure, but on the engine cover it says Ecotec with VVT under it, and the solstice webpage just says VVT

"
2.4 liter Ecotec DOHC

Prowess without a perplexing learning curve pens the definition of Solstice's engine. Its all-aluminum, 177-horsepower, longitudinally mounted 2.4 liter Ecotec conveys an assured politeness at low speeds, and, at high revs, another realm of potency entirely. Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) alters the typically fixed relationship of intake and exhaust camshafts to dispatch 90 percent of its peak torque throughout an enthusiast's range from 2200 to 6200 rpms.

Harnessing airflow with four valves per cylinder and upping the size of those valves means better engine breathing and higher output across the spectrum.
"

Old 11-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Administrator

first of all bobby, that sunfire is factory backed. if i had factory backing, my RT would be in the 8s. that means that GM pays for everything, and they can afford it. also, that is a super light weight chassis car. it doesnt have a heavily built LS2 in it. it was at the norwalk event, and i didnt see it make a run. this whole article was about a street driven kappa car, with an LS2 in it, which is a whole different idea then just building up the stock engine,and stripping the car down to 2000 pounds so it will run 8s.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:35 AM
HCF Member

bobby, I was qouting car and driver.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:27 AM

Sorry if I made the implication that the GM sunfire and the solstice are in the same league, that is in no way true. I just saw the 1000hp comment and thought I'd throw out the dragster. But I'm sure that solstice isn't just bone stock with an ls2 dropped in it. It costs 30,000 for the conversion and an engine doesn't cost that much.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: remington870_20ga
Considering it whips out about what, 150- 160 hp with a turbo? When the S2000 alone does 145?
ORIGINAL: remington870_20ga
bobby, I was qouting car and driver.
Not the first comment from C&D that makes me wonder if the editors are on cocaine

Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: bobbytonic

Not sure, but on the engine cover it says Ecotec with VVT under it, and the solstice webpage just says VVT

"
2.4 liter Ecotec DOHC

Prowess without a perplexing learning curve pens the definition of Solstice's engine. Its all-aluminum, 177-horsepower, longitudinally mounted 2.4 liter Ecotec conveys an assured politeness at low speeds, and, at high revs, another realm of potency entirely. Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) alters the typically fixed relationship of intake and exhaust camshafts to dispatch 90 percent of its peak torque throughout an enthusiast's range from 2200 to 6200 rpms.

Harnessing airflow with four valves per cylinder and upping the size of those valves means better engine breathing and higher output across the spectrum.
"
I know what VVT stands for. Every car manufacturer has their own variable valve timing system. It's just funny how GM, can't even come up with their own name for it - they just took it from toyota. I mean, honda has VTEC, BMW has VANOS, etc.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:48 AM

<edit for stupid joke>

Who knows, why rename the wheel when it serves the same purpose?

I was looking at my friends Infiniti g35 the other day, and it just has VVT. So Nissan/Infiniti didn't give it a special name it appears

Old 11-04-2005, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

yeah.... and ford has their lame-*** "z-tech" lol!...

Old 11-04-2005, 03:00 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the z-tech engine was just a twincam engine, didnt have VVT. I'll look at my girl's zx2 manual and see if it does.