The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

EK Curb Weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Default EK Curb Weight

Did anyone ever figure out what they added from 1996-2000 that each year the weight increased.. i am replanning on trying to find a 96 Hatch DX.. since these are nearly 150lbs lighter than my 1999 DX that i crashed..2242 96 stock CX Hatch.. 2388 CX 99 Hatch.. what gives?? and my DX hatch was 2388 stock. I will easily hit 2k dry weight without CF even, if i can pickup one of these bad boys.. CF parts will get me close to 2k driving weight even.. CX model on 96 is 2222 but wont give up tilt steering.. would be very uncomfortable.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Default RE: EK Curb Weight

I've been trying to figure that out. No one seems to know, or seems to care. I want to weigh my 98 coupe just to see how accurate some of the numbers I've seen thrown around are.

Where could I get it weighed?

Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 PM

Any local Racetrack has a scale..
or if you go to the city/county dump they have scales,just pull up and ask them to weigh your car..they'll probably do it for free.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:57 PM
HCF Member

well the entire front end changed slightly and got more angular in places and less so in others on the 99s and 00s...but i cant think of what they changed to add 150 pounds. safety stuff? comfort stuff? convenience? idk.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:08 PM

There were no changes for the 1995 Civics except on the del Sol models, which got a few improvements. Upgrades included standard antilock brakes for the VTEC, power locks for the Si and VTEC, and a remote trunk release for all trim lines.

1996-2000

A revamped Civic lineup debuted for 1996. The new body featured larger light clusters fore and aft, a grille (chrome-accented on sedans) and a crisp character line that ran the length of the car. Hatchbacks now had the 103.2-inch wheelbase of the coupes and sedans, and overall length was up around 2 to 4 inches, depending on body style.

Sedans were again offered in DX, LX and EX trim levels. A new coupe, the HX, joined the DX and EX coupes. The HX coupe essentially replaced the VX hatchback, offering high mileage figures from a fairly powerful engine. The revised VTEC-E engine (now at 1.6 liters) in the HX put out 23 more horsepower (for a total of 115 ponies) than the previous version but now "only" scored mileage figures of 39 in the city and 45 on the highway. A gearless continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) that promised seamless performance and manual-transmission fuel economy was introduced later in the year as an option for the HX. The hatchback lineup was trimmed down to two models, the CX and DX. A new 1.6-liter 106-horsepower engine that earned Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) certification powered the CX, DX and LX, and a slightly more powerful 127-horsepower VTEC-assisted version was found in the EX models.

Excluded from the redesign, the del Sol was now in its fourth year and got a host of tweaks to keep it current. The base model (S) got the new 1.6-liter 106-horse engine fitted to the new Civic, Si models got the beefier suspension of the VTEC, and all versions got a freshened front fascia.

In 1997, all Civics came with 14-inch wheels, DX models got full wheel covers, the LX sedan received air conditioning and, strangely, EX coupes with manual transmissions no longer had the option of antilock brakes. As this would be the last year for the del Sol, Honda made no changes.

Not much happened in 1998, save for new wheel covers, an exterior handle for hatchbacks and the addition of map lights.

A slightly revised front fascia and taillights, along with redesigned climate controls updated the Civic for 1999. A "Value Package" for the DX sedan debuted that included features that most buyers wanted, such as air conditioning, a CD player, power door locks, automatic transmission and keyless entry, at a substantial savings when compared to the separate option prices.

Midway through the year to the joy of pocket-rocket enthusiasts everywhere, the Civic Si returned, now in the coupe body style and sporting a potent 160 horsepower from its 1.6-liter VTEC engine. A firmer suspension, front strut tower brace, 15-inch alloy wheels wearing 195/55R15 rubber and four-wheel disc brakes completed the hardware upgrades for the Si. A front spoiler, side sills and subtle bodyside graphics set the Si apart from the other Civic coupes, and the standard equipment was generous and similar to that of the EX.

Other than the shuffling of paint choices, the Civic stood pat for the year 2000.

^^^^^^^^^^^^From what these guys say i guess its just a bunch of accessories they added each year^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The website I got the info from

Old 04-26-2006, 05:53 PM

If they didn't add "new" stuff and accessories every year, then they wouldn't be able to name it as the next year's car or people would just say "Why not buy the cheaper year before?". Companies have to be able to deter that with "luxury" options and bonus features.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:54 PM

What confuses me the most is this link: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_85..._/tm.htm#85691

And it's not just Marty postin all that. I googled some of the entrys and there's lots of the same lists being posted around. Some claims were made that it can't be accurate. I would tend to agree, but it seems someone put a lot of time into that list, with very exact numbers like 2394, 2279, etc. No one lists where they got the information from though.

Anyway, what confuses me is... all the car sites like edmunds say basically what AK posted. But if you look at the list in the link above, from 96-97 the CX hatch gained about 80 pounds, and then in 98 about maintained it. Where in the world did that 80 pounds come from? Wheels and wheel covers?

There's probably other possible discrepancy's in the list, but I really only care about 6th gen civics, so that's all I've looked into so far. As mentioned earlier, with no success.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

rocka nd landscaping places have scales as well