The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

a fram oil filter killed my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:17 PM
February 2010 ROTM
Default a fram oil filter killed my car

well lets see here where to start: i changed my oil 2 days ago put on a new filter and all that and was working fine until yesterday when i was driving home on my lunch break car loses 3 quarts of oil in 10 miles........get home oil everywhere, clean it all up look at everyhting it all looks fine no craked oil pan no head gasket leaking so i check the filter and it feels a little loose so i tighten it up a little then oil comes gushing out in a stream.....get under the car once again drain all the oil take off the filter and TWO rubber gaskets fall out of it....they were both the same size and were like stacked on top of each other......which explains the odd oil leak.....so i called up fram and they are sending me a claim package.......so i just had to vent.......it just pisses me off that something that minor can **** up an engine.....it never even occured to me to check it....well that is it anyone have any ideas on what to do to try to fix my car......i am just not having any luck latley with my car getting rear ended and now this

Old 06-28-2006, 03:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: a fram oil filter killed my car

os is the engine totally ****ed??? or was it just losta bunch of oil... cause if that is all it was then i would just get an OEM oil filter and do another oil change

Old 06-28-2006, 03:45 PM

Fram oil filters totally suck.

I wound up helping my neighbor change his oil the other day. He has an old MG convertable and I came across him cursing at the car with a LAKE OF OIL underneath it. He thought he was finished with a routine oil change and he started his car and it PUMPED ALL OF THE OIL OUT OF THE FILTER. He had to go get four more quarts of oil. We wound up having to use all of our weight to tighten the filter until it wouldn't leak.
I thought it was a defective filter but I wasn't sure (it's an old car, etc) but now I know the same thing has happened to somebody else.

Don't Fram it. Ever.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

next time just make sure you only have one o-ring and not two....

Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Stinky Administrator

yea fram sucks but i always check and see if the old oil filter gasket is still on the motor but i have bought a fram filter before and it had two gaskets on it

Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
February 2010 ROTM

and i looked at the old one cause i figured it might have gotten stuck to the engine but sure enough the one i pulled out of the trash still had the oring on it

Old 06-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Stinky Administrator

damn dude i hate that is your motor still ok

Old 06-28-2006, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

Aren't Fram filters made out of cardborad anyway?? i always use the OEM metal ones, hat time i couldn't get a good angle on the filter and ended up scratching the hell out of it and it didn't leak the slightest

Old 06-28-2006, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

you got rear ended too..dam that sucks,i was going to get a fram filter a wile ago when i did my change, glad i never did

Old 06-28-2006, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

wow that really sucks. I hope the nothing is really bad wrong. hope that everything turns out ok
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by BrianT; 04-28-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: a fram oil filter killed my car