The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

a fram oil filter killed my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: a fram oil filter killed my car

I use the generic Advance Autoparts brand.. they have a grippy coating, makes changing them a breeze.

________
Buy silver surfer

Last edited by chriskatana; 03-10-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:06 PM
HCF Member

that is what I always do to, to make sure it has a good seal. And it even says on the box to make sure the other piece does not get stuck, some people dont like reading i guess.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: my_hidden_romance

stop bashing fram... its a good company... i always take my finger with a few drops of oil and rub over the orings/threads to make sure everythings golden...

just be careful
ditto. I also like fram because it has that rubber piece on the bottom which makes it so much easier to unscrew from the car. I dont have this problem on BMW though, because all you have to do is open a filter canister, remove the old filter and drop in a new one.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

What kind of oil filters do you guys use?
Fram. Have been for the past 5 years on all my cars. I guess I've been dodging bullets too. I'm with my_hidden_romance and andryuha.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:42 AM
HCF Member

Regardless of the quality of Fram filters (i use one), it is not the fram filter that killed your car. It is the fact that you left both gaskets on at the same time. I always put the old and new filter next to each other and match up the gaskets so the new one gets lubed as well as making sure that the old gasket is still on the filter.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

For those who even consider using fram or are still using them. STOP! I'm seriouse.

And yes, always look out for the gaskets and rub a little oil on the gasket for a better seal. Don't forget to fill the oil filter with oil before installation to aid in priming the system.

But on a side note, installation of the oil filter on the d16 is a pita and basically doesn't allow you to fill the filter first...

Old 07-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Cat Fuсker

yep...d16 oil filter is a MAJOR PITA

Old 09-19-2006, 05:19 PM

Hello! I undersatnd your frustration buddy. What happened to you is commonly known as "double gasket" oil filter. No, the filter did not come with 2 gaskets. What happened was that when you did the oil change, you (obiously) didn't know how to do it properly. Don't get mad at me. I'm just saying that we all make mistakes. When you do an oil change and remove the oil filter, you must physically verify that you remove the oil filter including the gasket. I'm sure you know now about this. Unfortunately, i don't think the oil filter company was the responsible for it, but you could still try to get something out of them! Good luck...

Old 09-19-2006, 05:32 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: justinwebb

and i looked at the old one cause i figured it might have gotten stuck to the engine but sure enough the one i pulled out of the trash still had the oring on it

Old 09-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i ONLY use the oem honda filters that are like another 2 bucks, i mean are we really that cheap?

Quick Reply: a fram oil filter killed my car