The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

GM may go bust!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: GM may go bust!

the LS7 is a great high output motor, but its not exactly cutting edge. an aluminum block is still considered high technology for an american car. even when it houses pushrods[:'(]

Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 PM
HCF Member

The LS7 costs about $15,000 as a crate engine. For 505HP i would consider that pertty cheap, considering Benz makes a motor (SL-55 i think) that puts out the same HP and costs like 40K. And yea its a push rod motor, but its still good. I have no idea why most import guys loathe anything domestic. Believe it or not there are some good domestics out there. Z06, 300C, and yes the new Mustang GT.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:30 PM

*drolls over the solstice with the S/C LS7*

Old 12-06-2005, 11:34 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

What do u have a degree in? Its pretty cool that you can develop fuel cell technology.
Electrical/Mechanical Engineering Technology. I won't actually have the degree til 2008 though, it would be an internship type thing, some good experience to have on a resume.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 PM
HCF Member

ive had a bit of experiences with Z06s, and have more to come shortly, but still, american muscle cars refuse to try anything cutting edge to increase power, they just up the displacement. honda and toyota got away from pushrods in the early 80s, and havent gone back, and they have been using a hemi design in damn near every engine they have made since that time, and when dodge reintroduced it, its supposed to be "cutting edge"? i mean even for them, it was a 60s technology. if its better, why havent they started mking more than the one motor with it? look what happened when they pushed the envelope with the SRT-4. no matter what the interior or crappy chassis might lack, its hard to dispute that the motor is bad ***, pure and simple.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bobbytonic

Not really a fair comparison between what honda wants to do with cars and what chevy wanted to do with the LS7.
exactly....

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

The LS7 costs about $15,000 as a crate engine. For 505HP i would consider that pertty cheap, considering Benz makes a motor (SL-55 i think) that puts out the same HP and costs like 40K. And yea its a push rod motor, but its still good. I have no idea why most import guys loathe anything domestic. Believe it or not there are some good domestics out there. Z06, 300C, and yes the new Mustang GT.

Chevy has always had cheaper crate motors... just look at monster trucks, they all run chevy motors, cuz they're cheap as ****.... plus they fit in any thing.....

also, i am DEFINATELY not a fan of the 300c, but have always backed ford when it comes to the new mustang.... just lighten it up a bit and throw the money you saved by NOT buying a corvette into the motor and you could EASILY make over 505 hp, since the stock motor comes with 300.... 200hp jump isn't far away with $20K in your pocket......BESIDES, they just plain look SICK.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 AM
HCF Member

i like both cars (for american cars), but you cant even attempt to compare a modded Mustang GT to that new Z06. sure, it might be as fast in a straight line, but the z06 is going to outperform almost every other car out there, at any price, at everything. the uber-expensive hardware like Ferrari and Lamborghini are pissed that GM could get that much all-around performance out of a $65k car. look up the shootout between the C6 Z06, new Viper, and the Ford GT. the Z06 handed it to the others in every single competition except the top speed, in which it was short of the GT by about 2 mph.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: bobbytonic

Say LS what to an LS7
Does what rhyme with seven? I didn't think so.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: ef4life

i heard a rumor toyota might be buying out GM in the next few years. i don't know how true but it isn't that farfetched

It wouldnt suprise me if that happened because they already have their Toyota emblems on GM vehicles overseas.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:06 AM

The US government would never allow GM to go bankrupt. Just look what they did for Kmart, twice! GM may file for bankrupcy but the government will throw money at them to keep them operational.

Quick Reply: GM may go bust!