The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

GM may go bust!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:26 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: GM may go bust!

Another one of the leading problems in GM's domain (which Im surprised nobody said anything yet) is that they have heavy pension pay outs for old GM employees. At the rate they are going... they better think of something quick.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sacicons

i like both cars (for american cars), but you cant even attempt to compare a modded Mustang GT to that new Z06. sure, it might be as fast in a straight line, but the z06 is going to outperform almost every other car out there, at any price, at everything. the uber-expensive hardware like Ferrari and Lamborghini are pissed that GM could get that much all-around performance out of a $65k car. look up the shootout between the C6 Z06, new Viper, and the Ford GT. the Z06 handed it to the others in every single competition except the top speed, in which it was short of the GT by about 2 mph.
eh, you may be right sacicons..... i just despise chevy and corvettes.... just the old 4x4 driver in me. I just have never been happy with any of their products (and have owned many....drive one now as a matter of fact).... and sometimes it pisses me off that ford doesnt try to compete with the vette, b/c they could easily... just look at the ford gt. if they dropped that motor in something about the size of the mustang, and lightened it up some, the corvette would finally have comp.... but then they'd have to keep the price down (which is the ONLY downfall of the ford gt) and ford just doesn't seem to want to do that.

screw em all... i'll just stick with honda.

BTW--why the hell'd they keep kmart alive?! i hate it. must've been martha... she probably threatened the government lol...

Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 AM

Right you are remington 870, 2 retirees for every employee they
have. It costs GM 2500 dollars more per vehicle than toyota to build.
But it's because they keep down sizing, and they have to keep downsizing because
fewer and fewer people are buying their crap. It's a downward
spiral that can only end in a bust.
Here's one of my experiences; I leased a new avalanche
in 2002. that winter was a bad one here in indy. one morning on the way to work
I had to leave the road to keep from rear ending a stoppped vehicle in front of
me. The anti-lock brakes released the brakes instead of pulsing. I took it to
the dealer and they said there was no problem. After much searching and two
years I learned that GM's idea of a fix was to add a booster on the 03 models
and the 04 models got redesigned brakes. Thank God I leased that thing instead
of buying it. They got it back. Yes I know how to use anti-lock brakes, I have owned
several BMW cars which have serious brakes that work.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

Huh, I though it was like 1600 or 1800. I didnt originally qoute it because I was afraid I might be wrong.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:56 AM

I don't know if it is true but Gm execs on a news
bite said it was 2500 us bucks per vehicle because of the retirees
pensions. If you can believe anthing put out by GM

Old 12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
HCF Member

Does anyone remember a few years ago when GM had a press release that basically said they admitted to making ****ty cars (especially in the 80's) but they were going to step it up a notch and start releasing better cars? lol... I laughed for days. It was just a PR thing tryin to get GM a better image....if they wanted a better image they would focus on making better cars and get rid of **** like Saturn and GMC. Seriously what is the point of GMC? its all just chevy truck with different emblems. It pisses me off. And saturns are renowned for their ****tiness. they could also stop making hummers (I could live without them) and many of the other "cars" in their lineup... and SUVs damn they make alot. So does ford! jesus has anyone seen fords suv lineup? they have like 90 different suvs! WTF?

Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 PM

im a tech at a gm dealership. and i dont drive a GM. "job security" is what i like to describe most GM vehicles. as long as they make pontiac. ill have a job.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

If GM stoppped making hummer, they would prolly lose ALOT of money. You don't need a Hummer (nor do i) but there are alog of ppl that like them. They should keep Hummer but drop GMC and move the GMC cars into Chevy or vica versa. The main thing is that GM needs to concentrate in making a couple of high quality cars instead of 500 crappy ones.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:24 PM

not to mention the pontiac vibe is a toyota matrix and every part on it comes in a toyota parts bag. Toyota already has its foot in the door just look at mercedes and chrysler. Chrlsler sucked for a few years after but now that are selling like hot cakes with the new hemi. i feel toyota could do the same with GM. And if toyota bought Gm, GM would Be Number one of the big three, because the would be with number one of the Japanese Big 3 aka unstoppable.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:26 PM
HCF Member

I highly doubt that even if Toyota wanted to buy GM that GM would be for sale (especially to a foreign automaker). Think about the biggest automaker in the U.S. bieng bought out by a Japanese company. The government prolly wouldn't allow it. Alot of Americans would feel pretty bad.

Quick Reply: GM may go bust!