The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

i cant tell if this guy is serious

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Cat Fuсker

I've never made a braided hose before. I'm working with a dodge, not a honda, but I will need to make custom hoses to do what I want.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:57 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
what? am I the only one who thinks it's stupid? of course it has no function, but whats the point of the thread if everyone can't talk about how stupid it looks. I thought that was the point of this thread. I just can't stand when people do this garbage, and it makes everyone, who has built a functional car look bad.

I think your car makes his car look bad.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
I've never made a braided hose before. I'm working with a dodge, not a honda, but I will need to make custom hoses to do what I want.
what is your goal with the braided hose? are you planning on a doing a few lines, or everything? i can find you some good FAQ's it just takes practice is all. remember for every braided connection, you have an adapter to change it from SAE fittings and threads to the AN flare needed for connections. It's also very expensive. I know I have at least a couple of grand in fittings and hose on my engine. everything I put in is for function, it looks good, but that wasn't the original idea. I got tired of regular rubber hose breaking and failing. also in your oil system, it's best to not take chances, I simply don't trust plain rubber made in china hose. Remember with the AN hose, it's not just the braid, the hose itself has to meet specific standards, much higher then cheap hose. you have three types of hose in an automotive system, regular braided hose, which is good for coolant,oil,fuel,etc. you have power steering hose, it can stand a much higher pressure, it also uses special steel fittings. and you have braided brake hose, you cannot use regular braided hose in brakes in a street application, you have to use special DOT certified hoses.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

I can see it now, the next big fad will be steampunk civics .

Old 07-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Cat Fuсker

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
what is your goal with the braided hose? are you planning on a doing a few lines, or everything? i can find you some good FAQ's it just takes practice is all. remember for every braided connection, you have an adapter to change it from SAE fittings and threads to the AN flare needed for connections. It's also very expensive. I know I have at least a couple of grand in fittings and hose on my engine. everything I put in is for function, it looks good, but that wasn't the original idea. I got tired of regular rubber hose breaking and failing. also in your oil system, it's best to not take chances, I simply don't trust plain rubber made in china hose. Remember with the AN hose, it's not just the braid, the hose itself has to meet specific standards, much higher then cheap hose. you have three types of hose in an automotive system, regular braided hose, which is good for coolant,oil,fuel,etc. you have power steering hose, it can stand a much higher pressure, it also uses special steel fittings. and you have braided brake hose, you cannot use regular braided hose in brakes in a street application, you have to use special DOT certified hoses.
My goal is to make the hoses the LAST thing I will worry about. In my Saab project the power steering hoses leak like crazy and I'd like to replace those as well. The dodge will need oil feed and return for the turbo, all the power steering hoses, everything else that I can as well...

Old 07-11-2010, 06:04 PM

check out summitracing. I bought hoses from there, I've used a few braided lines in my car.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
check out summitracing. I bought hoses from there, I've used a few braided lines in my car.
yea they have everything, it still takes some practice to get them right, i have all the special tools, such as the flaring tool for making hard lines, etc. it's a bit of an art, just takes practice to get good at it.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Super Cereal Admin

+1 on Summit Racing. Great place to get pretty much anything you need.

Anyway, lost, my point is that not everybody needs or wants every one of their mods to be functional; look at the hellaflush movement, there's no point to having a car that low other than style. I could understand your point if the guy was saying how the car is built for function, but he's not. People that build cars for style and admit that's why they did it get respect from me; it's the all-out posers I can't stand.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Cat Fuсker

I know about summit racing however one needs to know WTF they're doing before buying stuff they never understood fully. At least that is my stand on things. I can rebuild a turbo with my eyes closed, but make a damn line at the moment is beyond me.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 AM
HCF Member

i'm trying to find you an online FAQ, it's hard to explain, but if I can find the aeroquip one, it makes much more sense, easier to show in an illustration, the main thing is making sure the hose it cut straight and cleanly without the braid getting frayed. I use electrical tape myself, wrap it tightly right in the middle of where you want the cut, make the cut, then unwrap the tape right before you assemble the fitting I have a set of cutters I got at Lowes for about 40 bucks, they look like bypass pruners, but are for cutting metal. you can also use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. don't use a hacksaw, aeroquip says you can, but it makes a huge mess out of the braid. here's an faq, this is to their digital catalog, if you flip to the end, you'll find a page showing exactly how to install the fittings on the hose http://www.youblisher.com/p/3647-Eat...mance-Catalog/

Quick Reply: i cant tell if this guy is serious