The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Repair bill could be more than value of my car. What to do? (AAA insured)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Default Repair bill could be more than value of my car. What to do? (AAA insured)

Hello, my car was the victim of a parked hit-&-run recently, and while I'm covered for things like this with my insurance with AAA, I'm facing a dilemma. The repair bill for something like this is likely to match or be greater than the value of my vehicle (based on Kelly Blue Book).

Does anyone know if AAA will foot the bill for the repair, or will they simply give me a check for the value of the car? Or will they give me a choice?

I wouldn't mind taking cash since I'm looking to get a new (used) car anyway, but it might take me a while to find the car that I want. My car is still perfectly drivable in its current condition, so would AAA simply send me a check for the value of the car while I look for a replacement? What exactly will happen?

Thanks for any insight!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
HCF Member

Generally if the repair bill exceeds the value of the car, you will receive a check for the value of the car and they will retain the car. You will have the option of purchasing the car back from them. Price will vary depending on the condition of the car, but could be anywhere from $200 to $1000.
Very rarely will an insurance company offer you a choice to have it repaired in these instances, unless the amounts are close.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Hmm, how will they "retain" the car? Will they tow it away?

I'm trying to parse out the logistics of this transaction and find the optimal way of dealing with this.

If they will be towing away my car around the same time they send me the check, then I will be put in danger of not having car until I find a replacement. So it is possible for me to negotiate a deal with AAA so that they don't send the check & tow it until I have found a replacement? My car is in perfect running condition as the damage is cosmetic.

The reason I'm not talking to AAA straight away about this is the fear that they will indeed tow it away immediately upon me making a claim.

Another option is for me to file this claim AFTER I have found a replacement car (probably a few weeks). But if I do this, will they deny my claim because I didn't file it right after the incident? (for example, if in a few weeks the exposed paint starts to rust, so they know the incident isn't recent)

Old 12-06-2010, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

They generally take possession of the car at time of payment. I would take the car to a repair shop to get an initial estimate before contacting the insurance company. That way you will have a better idea of the repair cost.
If your car is still in good running condition and the repairs do cost more than the blue book value, it may be worth buying back. The adjuster will be able to tell you the buy back cost at the time of the estimate (by the ins co)
That way, you have a car until you find a replacement, then you can part out your car or sell it for part value. You can almost always get more than the buy back cost that way.
I had someone total my Swift. Smashed it from the rear through my garage door and into my Jeep. Almost every body panel was damaged but the engine was fine. Buy back was $250 and I sold it for $500 for the engine and tranny. Could have gotten more if I wanted to part out the whole car but I didn't have time to mess with it at the time.
But you do want to contact the ins co soon. I wouldn't wait a couple of weeks.
Hit a repair shop today or tomorrow for an initial estimate then go from there.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Chubby Chaser

they will supply you with a FREE rental car, just call them and get the details.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

That is only accurate if he has uninsured driver coverage and rental.towing coverage. And it ends when the check is paid.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
July 2010 ROTM

jesus, nevermind. lesson learned, read the op first. tigger, i mistook ur last post for that of the op and posted something stupid lol. im a dip****.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:59 PM
HCF Member

Been there done that

Old 12-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
That is only accurate if he has uninsured driver coverage and rental.towing coverage. And it ends when the check is paid.

went i totalled out my last jeep, they gave me a rental car, and i got paid and had the car for 2 weeks after i got paid. No i didnt have any of that extra coverage.

you can tell him anything you want but we have no say so, it all lies in the insurance companies hand. so he needs to just call them and find out, dont be afraid to ask them questions