The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

s2k or s4

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Default RE: s2k or s4

ORIGINAL: LEVIII

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_82...e/tm.htm#82459

the best time on the M3 was in 2002 with a 13.4

LOL at that. Decent but not for the price and the reliability
people don't buy M3s for the straight line, they are made for the twisties, just like any other BMW. And I can bet you that BMW is way more reliable than a Mitsubishi

Old 09-15-2005, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: md420

I hate how small the S2K is, it's like a glorified Miata
Yeah, except it's actually fast, looks good... and it isn't a Mazda.

Go with the S2k. It will save you tens of thousands of dollars of grief over the S4 or an M3.

And as for the M3, you obviously don't do your research (or you're just not around cars enough). BMW's have very sketchy reliability. A few may run flawlessly, but the majority of them don't hold up that well. I can't tell you how many times we get the same European cars in for completely unrelated repairs within very short amounts of time. You replace the timing belt and the next week, one of the shocks comes in cracked. Or the exhaust falls off in two places. They still haven't fixed all their German engineering problems.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

ORIGINAL: md420

I hate how small the S2K is, it's like a glorified Miata
Yeah, except it's actually fast, looks good... and it isn't a Mazda.

Go with the S2k. It will save you tens of thousands of dollars of grief over the S4 or an M3.

And as for the M3, you obviously don't do your research (or you're just not around cars enough). BMW's have very sketchy reliability. A few may run flawlessly, but the majority of them don't hold up that well. I can't tell you how many times we get the same European cars in for completely unrelated repairs within very short amounts of time. You replace the timing belt and the next week, one of the shocks comes in cracked. Or the exhaust falls off in two places. They still haven't fixed all their German engineering problems.
But of course, you must know that majority of BMWs use timing chains. They stopped using belts in early 90s. I also know quite a few people that have over 200k miles on their BMWs. Mine has 235k. Just like old MBs that are known to have motors that go over 500k miles. Besides, it doesn't sound like you've ever driven a BMW and you'll never get the feeling until you do, once a bimmer lover, you'll always be one

Old 09-15-2005, 05:17 PM

Well, I've never done a timing chain on a bimmer, so I guess that does say something. And as for never having driven one, you are sorely mistaken, my friend. First of all, in my line of work (or play, as the case may be), you drive EVERYTHING. I can guarantee I've driven more flavors of BMWs than you probably ever will. My friend has a silver '97 M3 that I drive very frequently. While I was floating the back end through a downhill hairpin, the traction control just died. Still hasn't been fixed. Gotta love that German reliability...

If you say once a bimmer lover, always a bimmer lover, then you should know that I'll never be one. Just because someone drives one doesn't mean they're going to fall *** over tea-kettles in love with it.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

sorta thread jack but I see you guys are talking about mileage. Ive heard that if you gotta vo vo and you put 1 million miles on it, theyll give you a brand new one for free of your choice... is that true? Ive heard it more than twice from different people.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:26 PM

i love the s2k.Delvon

Old 09-15-2005, 09:55 PM

First off, not in this lifetime is a BMW more reliable then a Mitsu. Also my mitsu stock, will eat alive any stock m3 in the twisties as well as the str8 line which it was also never intended for, It was actually inteded for dirt, which the BMW will never see.

Second, timing chains are great, accurate and very reliable, but I have heard people have some problems fine tuning FI with them because they make quite a bit of noise and vibration that the knock sensor picks up and pulls timing. Just a disclaimer though, I have never experienced this myself just heard it from a couple guys with turbo M3s.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 PM

First off, not in this lifetime is a BMW more reliable then a Mitsu.
I don't know man. Quite honestly, the longest I've seen a mitsu last was around 160k miles. Two of my friends had eclipses. One had a ****ty RS and it started to fall apart at 70k miles - various tranny problems, crank walk, headgasket and a lot of electrical BS. The other has a GSX and he absolutely hates it - it is quick, but that's all it's good for, since it rides like crap, the synchros are obviously failing, there's a play in the turbine impeller, crankwalk, headgasket leaks, etc. In my view, a mitsubishi is a ford of japan as is mazda. Those cars are built like crap, ride like crap and can't compare to other japanese manufacturers overall. And I'm not praising BMWs either, because the new ones have quite a few problems that are mostly related to electrical gizmos. However, previous models do last a long time, provide a comfortable and prestigious ride and have ability to excell on the track

Old 09-15-2005, 11:03 PM

First off, not in this lifetime is a BMW more reliable then a Mitsu. Also my mitsu stock, will eat alive any stock m3 in the twisties as well as the str8 line which it was also never intended for, It was actually inteded for dirt, which the BMW will never see.
Evo's come with warintys?
however I must say that My bmw has never had a knock senser problem. *cough*
and what year for the 'mitsu,' and what year for the 'M3?'

yes the Evo lancer is the god of grip now, I should know I'm friggen right next door to the stealership!
ps, sorry about my spelling, dyslexia...dont hold it agenst I.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:02 AM
HCF Member

Pre-2000 mitsu reliability is a joke

BMW's are bad *** and the M3 is second to only the M5 and the new M6 IMO

Quick Reply: s2k or s4