Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

%&*$-ing valves!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:35 PM
HCF Member
Default %&*$-ing valves!

So I got my valves adjusted at my honda dealership for 90 bucks (which is quite cheap I hear compared to what other ppl paid)... and they stopped making the noise...
but then the NEXT MORNING - whish whish whish ALL OVER AGAIN! I was like.. wtf... but I was too lazy to take it back to the dealership... and its the weirdest freaking thing!

I've noticed that the valves make noise when its damp/moist/humid/wet outside. Loud as hell. But when its dry, they dont make the noise.

And if they do make noise, after I drive around for a while, say 40 minutes, they stop making the noise. So if I were to take it to the honda dealer, they'd be like, wtf are u talking about, ur valves are fine.

Please help, thanks.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: %&*$-ing valves!

Is the oil level low? What type/weight oil are you using?

Old 05-10-2008, 02:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: RonJ

Is the oil level low? What type/weight oil are you using?
I just got an oil change too about 500 miles back - So everythings fine with my oil. I don't know the type or weight - just the normal stuff the honda dealer uses I guess.

And thanks for the QUICK reply!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is it possible that the noise isn't from the valves?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

I'm guessing its the ppl at the dealer's place who did a bad job adjusting them...
Otherwise what else could cause the noise? I have absolutely no idea - I don't know jack about cars... thats why I'm here posting.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Maybe you could try making a sound/video recording of the engine making the noise and then post it?

I don't think valves make a "whish whish whish" noise.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

Ya definitely, I could do that. I've done it before. I'll post a megaupload link or youtube here once I'm done.
and again, thanks for the help!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
HCF Member

here is an audio file. High quality. please download from here: http://mctwists.googlepages.com/VOC036.mp3

The engine is idling at 1k rpm. I just started it up and drove around for a minute and parked it back. The sound continues for about a half hour and then usually goes away.

Its really really loud as you can hear...

Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

Sounds more like a loose belt. Can you pin point where in the engine is the noise is coming from?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: gsumano

Sounds more like a loose belt. Can you pin point where in the engine is the noise is coming from?
Yeah, its coming from the drivers side of the car, right next to the top-left tire.

Here are two videos:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iJs6MOPbwxI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jR6l5xE9MSM

--
P.S. - don't worry about the check engine light, its on b/c of an oxygen sensor problem.

Quick Reply: %&*$-ing valves!