Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'00 Civic EX Grinding Noise Coming to Stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Default '00 Civic EX Grinding Noise Coming to Stop

I'm pretty fed up with visiting local Honda mechanics at this point. Nevertheless, I'm determined to get a concrete answer and resolution on my issue from one who knows their stuff.

For approx 8 mos, I've been dealing with a metal grinding noise when coming (mostly) to a slow stop on my 2000 Honda Civic EX coupe. There is no noise while in motion (forward or reverse) and no noise in idle.

It generally does not start this sound until I've driven it about an hour after warm up. Once it starts, it continues the entire day. There are times that once I park it 10-15 min or longer, it does not start this noise back immediately but eventually does at a later time (while still driving in the same day). It appears to come from my driver's side of the vehicle, but I could be mistaken. This sound never occurred in the 5+ years I've owned my vehicle and had it maintained.

Two things have occurred within the last year on my vehicle that must be mentioned:

-Another driver caused a front driver's side collision with my vehicle that was repaired by a Honda body shop. A front end alignment was done by the repair shop as well.

-Two days before that accident, I replaced all 4 tires with new Goodyear Fuel Max Weatherhandlers in the size that my car requires. My previous tires were Michelin HydroEdges. I've had my tires rotated and balanced 3 times within the last year. This noise started months after my tire replacement & accident.

Thus far, I've taken my vehicle to:

- a Honda Dealership (3 visits on this issue)
- a Honda independent service shop (3 visits on this issue)
- an import vehicle service shop (1 visit)

4 mechanics have now driven my car to hear this noise and none of them can tell me concretely what it is.

Per all of these shops, it is assumed to be: tires or brakes. The independent Honda service shop told me I am concerned for no reason and that this noise is common. It is not common to me when I've never heard it before on any car I've owned. All shops have assured me that I have no suspension issues. Only the import shop (that I visited just yesterday) said they would suggest new rotors because they are warped, and that my front brakes are about half used. They did not do a visual inspection of my back brakes and cannot guarantee the brake work will rid of the noise.

On one of the visits to the Honda independent service shop, they did an inexpensive "cleaning(?)" procedure with the brakes and the noise stopped for about 2-3 weeks, only to return. That is the only time of relief I had with the noise issue.

I found a YouTube video tonight of my exact braking noise in the same manner the person in the video is braking. It's most noticeable at 1:21-1:26 in the video: Fiesta front brake noise - YouTube

Here is a 2nd video of my same sound:
Car noise while breaking lightly, but not when braking hard - YouTube

Can someone please direct me on where to take my car at this point for an accurate diagnosis & resolution? I did not think this noise would be this puzzling for skilled mechanics.

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:14 AM
HCF Member

Replace pad and rotor..

2nd video sound like it bad pad and warp rotor.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

If your front brakes are at 50% and this is driving you crazy, just get your pads and rotors replaced and go from there. Not every noise can be diagnosed with 100% certainty.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks a bunch for the advice and feedback.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Also if you're not sure which wheel the noise is coming from, all 4 brakes should be inspected. Having someone outside the car listen when you drive slowly past them can help to locate noises.