Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 EX bucking and sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:52 AM
HCF Member
Default 00 EX bucking and sputtering

So ive had this car for like 6 years now and it has always had a slight hesitation to it. Now it has escalated and started this cold start bucking and sputtering thing when I start it up and try to go. It used to just hesitate all the time, then it started the bucking in the morning only. Then it only did it in the morning and when I left work. Now it is doing it if I drive 20 miles then shut it off for 10 minute and start it back up.

If I push in the clutch and rev it up things are fine but as soon as I put a load back it just falls on its face. This happens for about 10 seconds when it is cold within the first 30 yards of taking off. It has gotten worse but has yet to throw an actual code.

All the civic research I have done points to the EGR, and I will be damned if I can find the EGR valve on this monkey (D16y8). They were talking about older D16's I believe.

I had an eclipse a couple years back (420a) that did the same exact thing, and after swapping out virtually every sensor on the car the crank sensor ended up being the silver bullet.

Has anyone else seen this craziness, its to the point where I am afraid to drive the car until I sort it out.

Help

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 AM
HCF Member

check this thread

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_96852/tm.htm

and this thread
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_133369/tm.htm

if you have more than 50k miles on your fuel filter.... change it.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:12 AM
HCF Member

No help.

Ive already changed out the O2 sensor, which did nothing.

new plugs and cap as of like 500 miles ago.

and I change the fuel filter about once a year.

New crank sensor came yesterday, im going to try it and see if that helps. beyond that Im going to either wait for total failure or put the thing on craigslist for cheap.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

EGR valve, if you have one, will be on the intake manifold next to cylinder #4.

Could be coolant or air temperature sensors (ECU thinks that the engine is warmed up, but it's actually cold, so it runs badly). Plug wires cause misfiring under load too.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The D16Y8 does not have an EGR system.

Some possibilities:

Dirty IACV valve -- see forum DIY for cleaning.

Faulty MAP sensor -- see manual at link below for troubleshooting.

Fuel problem -- Measure the fuel pressure and, during the procedure, also check the fuel pressure regulator (also see manual).

Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 AM
HCF Member

changed out the crank sensor last night, no joy.

I am not getting a CEL, hence all the dart throwing. I was hoping to drive it until whatever the problem is failed to the point that it would throw a code but thats not happening. It is very nearly impossible to drive now and still not the first hint of a code.

Im downloading the manual now, so I will check out the IACV soon after. Ive disconnected the map and it does the same thing, which should cause the ECU to default to a rich condition, so I doubt that is the problem.

In the meantime, me and the big forehead shaped bloody spot on the wall will take any other suggestions with cheerful enthusiasm.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 AM
HCF Member

OH and thanks for confirming my EGR su****ions and proving that I am not completely insane by not being able to find it

Old 08-19-2008, 06:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you install the correct type of spark plugs? In addition to the troubleshooting mentioned in my earlier post, also remove the spark plugs and check them for fouling or burning. If the plugs are fouled, you should consider replacing the plug wires as mentioned by mk. If the plugs are burned, checked whether the ignition timing is too far advanced.

Name:  picture_1323.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  85.1 KB

Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 AM
HCF Member

Plugs are good.
Just changed them out not long ago.

If they were fouled that would explain the full time hesitation but not the cold start bucking and sputtering.

Im going to run out and grab some carb/choke cleaner and clean that IAC here in a bit.

Already checked the brake light switch, that hadnt occured to me until I read the manual.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 AM
HCF Member

the thing that kills me is that it only bucks and sputters under load. As soon as I push in on the clutch it is smooth as could be.

I suppose that could just be a dead spot in the TPS or a faulty map, which I will check shortly.

Quick Reply: 00 EX bucking and sputtering