Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'00 EX Build Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Default '00 EX Build Help

Hey Everybody!

First post and I have quite a few questions so let's get started.

I own a '00 EX 2DR 5spd. 103K miles and runs like a charm. Very cherry car. Is completely stock but well, that is about to change. The only question is, how to do it? I am looking to spend around 5-6K. I intend to upgrade engine, suspension, exterior, and interior (in that order) but need to know if it is feasible on my budget. I am looking to build a somewhat serious Civic that can serve as a daily driver (must be realiable!!). I intend to do all of the work myself and keep it almost completely bolt on but am am willing to consider some more serious work if the value is there. I grew up in Dad's garage so I have the tools and know-how just not that familair yet with Civic upgrades. Below are some thoughts of mine. Thanks for your advice and interest!

Engine:

Like I said, as much bolt on as I can get away with. Was thinking cold air intake, headers, exhaust, chip, and super hot ignition (including ignition box, plug wires, plugs etc.). Probably power pulley's as well. Pretty basic but I would like street/comp stuff all the way around. Are there any additional mods I would have to make to ensure the reliability of the engine/trans such as new head gasket set, intercooler, clutch, etc.??? Anything anybody would like to add as a possible upgrade??

Suspension:

Sway bars, strut bars, coil overs, possibly new brakes (4 disk on this budget??). The main idea is to get the extra HP to the ground efficiently and waste as little as possible. Anything that is a Civic 'must have'?

Exterior:

Rims, good tires, body kit, paint (nothiing fancy just a good solid color with lots of clear coat). That is about it.

Interior:

Dash, steering wheel, console, gauge tree, gauges, and seats.

So there is what I have thought of so far. Is there anything I need to know about VTEC's regarding reliability with performance upgrades and/or weaknesses assoiciated with them? As I have said this will be a daily driver and I don't want to constantly worry about it giving me trouble. Also, do '00 Civics in general have anything in general that needs special attention (that I can get some good power for the $$$?)

Lastly, who manufactures some of the best/inexpensive Civic parts for each of the categories above?? I have started looking but there is soooo much. I was thinking Greddy for the engine but not sure about the rest.

Oh, one more thing. How much HP would this add and is it feasible on my budget?? I am willing to move money to other areas if it is worth it. This is just my first brainstorm. How much HP might I get out of this?? I would like to at least break 200HP and keep it all low end. 250-300 might be nicer, btu I think I am probably pushing it.

Any ideas?? If you had the same Civic and budget how would you spend it???

Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: '00 EX Build Help

ORIGINAL: mschronister

If you had the same Civic and budget how would you spend it???
I would forget about the paint, body kit, and random interior crap.

Then I would ask myself what kind of driving I plan to do (any racing?), where I live, and if I plan to drive the car year-round.

Then I would wonder how I would get to 250-300whp with bolt-ons, and I would punch myself in the face for even thinking about it.

JK, but, seriously, it's not going to happen.

Seriously if you want that much power your options are
1. forced induction
2. motor swap
3. both

You can do some nice stuff with $6k. But not everything that you listed. You're going to have to compromise somewhere.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:45 AM

Yeah, after posting I realized there was no way I was going to get to 200-300 bolting stuff on and then instead of punching myself in the face I kicked myself in the groin.

I don't plan on strip racing but I would like to be able to take any standard slightly modded sports cars I see on the road . That is part of the problme. I don't know what powerband I need for that while retaining reliability.

I live in the midwest. Hot humid summers and cold winters. Pretty much two extremes. And yes, it is a daily driver. Around 60 miles a day.

Okay, let's compromise. No body kit or random interior stuff (my interior could be in better shape though. Just not that happy with it). New seats are a must as the stock ones are pretty uncomfortable anymore. Paint would be nice. Lots of random chips from rock on front bumper, hood, and fender. Doesn't look bad from a distance but up close you can tell.

The engine is perfectly sound, mechanically speaking.

An engine swap is out. I have funds but not time to devote to doing it myself. I have wondered about forced induction but don't know if I would need new pistons or valve train to handle it. I would prefer a turbo but would probably settle for a sueprcharger and/or NOS. Of course, now I have to spend more $$ on suspension and brakes. Just trying to find balance here.

LOL 200-300HP does sound silly now that I think more and more about it.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:19 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mschronister

I would like to be able to take any standard slightly modded sports cars I see on the road . That is part of the problme.
Yeah, street racing IS a problem.

In terms of installation time, supercharger is faster than a turbo. And you can run them both on stock internals. I suggest reading this writeup before making any decisions, this guy has the same engine as you. https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_281776/tm.htm

Old 10-30-2006, 12:35 PM

Ah, no need to worry about street racing. Much to old for that (I bought my Civic first year of college. YIKES!! Almost 7 years ago!). Just don't want to wonder if my Civic could take that mid 90's Mustang with the megs and bad rims. That sorta thing.

Thanks for the link. A turbo charge it is then. I thought as much just based on the fact it steals power from the engine (and it is a 4 cylinder). Priced some that are upgradeable. I guess that would take care of my induction. Now just ignition and exhaust. I think I should be able to keep it under 6K.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:59 PM
mxs
HCF Member

As far as the rest of the stuff, take a look around the 6th Gen Product Review forum.