Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 Civic EX jerks 1st 2nd 3rd

Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Default 01 Civic EX jerks 1st 2nd 3rd

I noticed this since the day I purchased the car, and basically what happens is when you are driving in low rpm and smash it to the floor or hit the throttle half way, I feel the engine buck, almost as if the A/C were engaging and it was bogging the car down. This basically happens at like 1000-2500 RPMS. I have heard other people have this issue so I dont think its a big deal, however its nice to know what it is. Im thinking it has something to do with VTEC because the dealer says it doesnt kick in until like 2500 RPMS or so. I dont know though, maybe you guys can help, maybe this is a problem others are experiencing as well. I have heard this to happen from models of 97-03. Thanks for looking and any advice or input is much appreciated.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:12 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 01 Civic EX jerks 1st 2nd 3rd

I wonder if you have a bad VTEC solenoid. I know mine does this as well when I'm in that RPM range and just maintaining speed - it'll surge (feels like the A/C compressor is cycling on and off). This is when the IAT sensor is plugged in and the CEL light is off (in other words, the ECU is satisfied with everything).

When the IAT is unplugged (because it actually runs 'better' in limp mode - thanks to this problem), I only experience the 'surging' in the 2500 range - almost like the VTEC solenoid is having problems engaging or something.

Is there any place to get replacement VTEC solenoids aside from the stealerships? And don't cost and arm & leg to do so?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:37 AM

Good call, the car's VTEC solenoid had already been replaced in that the dealership told me they had done it because the previous owner brought it in b/c the CEL was on. So I dont think it is that, however it could be that IAT sensor, isnt that under the air intake, should I just get a new one from the dealer? I dont know you right though, no CEL is on and it still does that. Let me know what you feel i need to do, this is my first honda and ive only had it since june so im still learning.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM
HCF Member

Nah - I wouldn't go to the stealership for an IAT. You can get one from any chain parts store for under $40 (AutoZone, Advance, Checker, etc.). Mine ('95 VX Hatch with the VTEC-E engine) is actually in the intake manifold, on the backside by the firewall. Kind of a PITA to get to, but not horrible. Two Phillips-head screws hold it on - so it's no biggee to change yourself. Unplug the and remove the old one, make sure the O-ring on the new one is good, and install the new one and plug it in - that's it. The stealership will probably charge you over $100 to change it.

But I'm kinda wondering what the deal is now, since the VTEC solenoid is new and you don't have a CEL.

Weird.