Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Slightly harsh shifting from 2nd to 3rd on a 1994 Honda Civic (1.6L VTEC, Automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Default Slightly harsh shifting from 2nd to 3rd on a 1994 Honda Civic (1.6L VTEC, Automatic)

It doesn't do it every time, but from 2nd to 3rd gear, sometimes the shifting process with slightly "hesitate" as I call it I guess? I checked the fluid and it appears to be red. However, I do know that Honda's are quite picky about what trans fluid you use in them (or so I've heard) and I'm wondering if a dealer transmission service would be the best thing to hopefully "remedy" this problem. It's a high mileage vehicle with 160k+ miles on it. Not too terribly sure about how well the transmission was serviced, as I traded in for this vehicle at a lot. It's just always ran well and never let me down.

Oh yeah, I think that because of this irregular shifting, it sometimes stops the odometer/trip odom from turning...can anyone else back me up in this? Any suggestions as to what I may need to do? I've read something somewhere about a little bottle of lubeguard conditioner that's said to work wonders...can anyone claim to that?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by littlemanx23
It doesn't do it every time, but from 2nd to 3rd gear, sometimes the shifting process with slightly "hesitate" as I call it I guess? I checked the fluid and it appears to be red. However, I do know that Honda's are quite picky about what trans fluid you use in them (or so I've heard) and I'm wondering if a dealer transmission service would be the best thing to hopefully "remedy" this problem. It's a high mileage vehicle with 160k+ miles on it. Not too terribly sure about how well the transmission was serviced, as I traded in for this vehicle at a lot. It's just always ran well and never let me down.
buy 2 quarts of honda manual transmission fluid.
drain and refill.

it's pretty much the same as changing your motor oil.

pics don't work, but... https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=31608

here, this one has pics
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1687986

you don't really need a torque wrench, just use common sense and don't leave it too loose or overtighten it and break the bolt

Originally Posted by littlemanx23
Oh yeah, I think that because of this irregular shifting, it sometimes stops the odometer/trip odom from turning...can anyone else back me up in this? Any suggestions as to what I may need to do? I've read something somewhere about a little bottle of lubeguard conditioner that's said to work wonders...can anyone claim to that?
does your speedo freak out too?

If so:
Originally Posted by danomatic93
If CEL is on, check the CEL FIRST!!

If the CEL pertains to the speedo sensor, ding ding ding, it's probably just the sensor located ontop of the transmission.

If CEL is NOT on....
Problem: The speedo doesn't work but the odometer works.
Solution: Replace the cluster or just replace the speedo gauge

Problem: The speedo doesn't work AND the odometer doesn't work.
Solution 1*: Bad Sensor - Replace the speedo sensor in the transmission.
*CEL should be on
Solution 2: Bad Gauge - Replace cluster or just replace the speedo gauge
IF Neither solution above fixed it.
Solution 3: Check all wiring from the sensor to the gauge. Because the signal is disrupted somewhere.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 09-30-2008 at 09:20 PM.