Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 stalls when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Default 01 stalls when stopping

I'm new here and admittedly know very little about civics. I am a subaru guy and I'm trying to trouble shoot my wife's car.

Problem is, when she is driving and comes to a stop, the car's idle drops and then it dies. She drives an 01 civic LX, Automatic and has about 60,xxx miles on her car. It doesn't matter if the AC is running or not; we tried both. Car is completely stock. She has not recieved any CEL's so I don't even know where to start. The car starts right back up and we can drive to the next stop where it will die again.

I searched the forum, read the FAQ and found so many idle issues, but many occured after some sort of modification.
Thanks for any help.
Robert

Old 06-19-2006, 08:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 01 stalls when stopping

it could be that an 02 sensor is bad and at the same time the cel light is burnt out. or the injectors are dirty.

Use the Seafoam tactic and afterwords, give us a call if the problem persists.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 PM
HCF Member

If you wanna narrow it down to if its a fuel problem, you could reproduce the problem and right when the engine is about to stall out spray some carb cleaner through the throttle body. If the engine continues to run (however badly) then you have a fuel problem. The car does idle, correct? For some reason i'm thinking its a trans problem since it only happens when you are slowing down. I'm not sure if this could cause it, but if the torque converter is horribly broken and the trans side of the torque converter is some how slowing down the engine side it might cause it. Thinking coming to a complete stop on a manual. I've never heard of this happening and i don't know if its even possible. What happens if you drop it in neutral, coast, and then stop?

Old 06-19-2006, 09:52 PM

Switching to neutral doesn't make a difference, but that was a good suggestion. I was thinking it might be a fuel problem so I'll try the seafoam solution. Hope this works.

Is there a way to manually adjust the idle speed on an automatic?

Old 06-19-2006, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

dont think it makes a difference that it is an auto - my idle speed is adjusted the same as the adjustment that have been on cars since way way back. but i have an 88 and with a throttle body (glorified carb), but there is an idle adjustment screw that is on mine, just adjusts the throttle setting.
but don't know on yours - guess it is port fuel injection.

back to the same question that was asked above: does it idle correctly when you start it in the morning.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:39 AM
HCF Member

You actually can adjust the idle. Disconnect the IAC and start the engine. Turn the adjustment screw on the TB until you reach the desired RPM. Turn the engine off, reconnect the IAC and start the car again.