Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Civic no A/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Default 02 Civic no A/C

I have a 2002 Civic that the A/C doesn't turn on. So far this is what i know about the circuit:

Wire A4 (blue) coming out of the heater control panel is 0v off and 5v on (about). That signal follows to wire F9 (blue/white) too the multiplex control unit and has 0v off 5v on (eliminating possible issues with A/C pressure switch and thermal protection switch)

wire E10 (yellow) at the multiplex has constant 6-7 volts, as well as E24 (yellow) at the ECU, when E10 is depinned voltage is the same until connector E at ECU is disconnected (also had an issues finding that specific wire so back probed and resistance checked until wire was found) Also when connector E at multiplex is plugged in and connected E at ECU is unplugged the 6-7 volts is still there. I have isolated that wire to make sure that my problem isn't in that wire it's self.

My theory is i have a bad multiplex control unit and/or a bad ECU that is back feeding the multiplex unit. But i don't understand what the ECU needs from E24 to engaged the ground (B6 Green - fan control, E18 Red - A/C clutch relay) to get the Relays to turn on.

Any input would be appreciated

Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The system uses a digitally coded (multiplexed) signal on the yellow wire, you can't probe it simply. When the ECU receives the code it will bump up the idle speed slightly in anticipation of the compressor load, and then engage the relays. Bad MCUs are fairly common. Usually other stuff won't work either such as the dome light and the keyless remote.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:02 PM

No there systems in the vehicle are effective, was able to get my hands on a known good multiplex, didn't fix.
How about ECU failures? I didn't think they were as common on Honda's as they are on Toyota's products (I've spent alot of time working on their electrical systems)

Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Can someone give me the voltage that is supposed to coming out of the heater control panel at least? The blue A4 wire? does 5v sound right when on or is it supposed to be source voltage?

Last edited by SwitchAvenger; 10-21-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:30 AM

NE one?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's negative logic on the blue wire. The control panel pulls it down to ground for on, 5 volts is off. The MCU supplies the 5 volts so it will go up and stay off if the pressure switch is open.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:07 PM

My car has a 4v increase with the a/c turned on. With everything connected and when off it's 5v and when switched on it's 9v. This car has been giving me headache for weeks now. So from your post your saying it could have a pressure switch problem?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Force the blue wire to ground. If the compressor and fans start, replace control panel.