Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

fueling issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Default fueling issues

Okay, so my car was up and running, now I'm dealing with another issue. When I turn my key to accesory the fuel pump doesn't always kick on. The fuel pump and filter are relatively new, 4 to 5 months old maybe a little older. The main relay is a week old. It seems like the fuel pump is lagging.. it wants to kick on late, we had the key in the ignition but it was off and we decided to check spark, after we pulled the #1 wire it started, I know that has nothing to do with it , but the pump kicked on when we pulled the wire

Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 PM

So the pump kicked on in that time frame, what would cause this? The sock on the pump doesn't look dirty at all, and i am completely stumped. Any advice is appreciated

Last edited by NOWAYTREY; 10-21-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the CEL stay on instead of cycling off? If you're sure the main relay is good, delayed starting of the pump (and turning off the CEL) is probably the ECU.

Whether the pump motor runs, or not, is an electrical issue. It doesn't have anything to do with the filter, etc.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 PM

What exactly is a cel? I dont know much engine or electrical. i've been learning with this car.

I didn't think the filter would have anything to do with it, just stating what has been replaced. There is no possibility that ethanol hardened in the fuel pump and it causing problems?

I was told to hook up wires to the fuel pump and sit it in a bucket of gas and hook it directly to the battery to see if it kicked on, and if it did then it would most likely be a wiring issue.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

CEL = "check engine" light. The yellow light on the dash with an engine icon.

Don't mess with buckets of gas. You can just listen for the pump to turn. If you don't hear it check the wire outside the tank with a meter or test light to see if it's getting power. Also check that the black wire from the tank is grounded to the bolt behind the seat.

Again though if the CEL does not come on for 2 seconds and go out when you turn the key on but don't crank, the ECU is not going through the priming sequence, and the pump isn't going to run. If CEL comes on and stays on that's usually the main relay though it could be a bad ECU or lack of power or ground to the ECU.