Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

05 civic 5spd acting funky

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 03:59 AM
Default 05 civic 5spd acting funky

So I bought a used 05 Civic last week. 5spd with 150k on it. Test drive it for about 30 minutes without any noticeable issues. Next day I drive it up the road and the temp gauge spikes. So I shut it down and let it cool down. Checked and didn't seem low on coolant. Drive it home while keeping a close eye on the temp. Got home with no issues and it never went above half. CEL did come on at some point.

Next day I decide to take it to work. First traffic light I notice the ABS light on and check engine light. 5 min later, all gauges have no readings, but are lit up. Just like if the car weren't running. Also, heater wasn't working and radio had no power. Car was running like normal and I made it to work. I shut it off and tried to restart it but just got clicking. A few hours later I went out and tried it again and it started with no issues and no CEL or any other warning lights. Five if home with little to no issues. Gauges did shut-off at a stop light, but returned to proper readings when I took off.

Stopped at AutoZone and let them read the codes for me. The only one he came back with is the Engine Control Computer. Would replacing that stop all this other nonsense that happening with this car?