Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

#1 cylinder not firing!!! help please..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:10 AM
HCF Member
Default #1 cylinder not firing!!! help please..

My number one cylinders not kickin... It's got spark... a brand new dizzy, plugs and wires. Would the timing be a possibility? Is there anything special that you have to do with it for a mini me swap??? The only other thing i'm thinkin is the #1 fuel injector may be bad, gonna swap those out tonight. Are the d15b8 and the z6 injectors the same?? hopefully.. [:@]. The car runs, but with no number one. I'm not sure where to go from here, and I dont really want to take it to a garage tomorrow.. Anyone have some advice???

Old 03-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Default RE: #1 cylinder not firing!!! help please..

i had same problem come to find out i had to replace valves

Old 03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

How did you find out the valves were bad?

Old 03-06-2006, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

Either your problem is gonna be compression or fuel (maybe lack of air but i dunno how that would happen). So if its fuel, then #1 injector or the injector circuit is gonna be bad. It prolly won't be the fuel rail or fuel pump since the rest of the cylinders are firing. If the valves are bent like dave suggested, then they will not seal correctly. This will give you low compression in cylinder #1. Get a compression guage and check the compression, it should be 160+ PSI and the same as the other cylinders (if your gonna check those). Compression tests are pretty easy. Take the spark plug out and replace it with the compression guage. Remove a fuse that will allow the car to crank but not start (ECU, fuel pump relay, etc). Have someone crank the car while you look at the guage, write down (or remember) the biggest number you see. The biggest number is the compression.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:25 PM
HCF Member

Well, I took my car to the shop... They said either there was a hole in the piston or it has bent valves. Can't be a hole in the piston b/c it just blew a head gasket... So the head I got is messed up. How much is a valve job gonna run me? Any idea, I can't call around til monday. I should have the valves soon, would it be easy to do them myself? Or should I have it done?

Old 03-11-2006, 02:52 PM
HCF Member

If the motor isn't VTEC i think you should be able to do it. There is something special about the VTEC heads that requires special tools and knowledge to change the valves. Are you sure it isn't a bad head gasket or a bad valve seal. I would imagine that it would be pretty hard to blow a hole through a pistons if you don't have any mods. But i guess anything is possible. The only way to find out what the real problem is to pull the head off. I think valve jobs are anywhere between $400-$1000+ depending on how extensive the work is.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:58 PM
HCF Member

It is a v-tec head... I'm thinkin it may just be worth it to get another head... that sucks... but I guess it was worth getting it for the i.m., valve cover and v-tec solenoid

Old 03-11-2006, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

A good valve job gives you like 30-40 HP i believe. Even more if you have it matched to fit a set of aftermarket cams. Anf id you get stiffer valve valve springs and retainer, you can get cams that let you rev higher and have a more aggressive valve grind. Maybe thats a way to turn lemons into lemonade?

Old 03-11-2006, 03:17 PM
HCF Member

Compression test for the most part are a joke. Do a leakdown test, you can get the tool to do it at a autoparts store. When you do a compression test while the piston is on it's way up it will peak the compression gauge out and the gauge will hold that reading, with a leakdown tester the pressure will go up but the gauge will continue to read acurately and if the cyl is loosing pressure then you need to start looking into that.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

Can you explain the leakdown test? I always hear everyone talksing about it but i have know idea what it is.

Quick Reply: #1 cylinder not firing!!! help please..