Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1987 Honda Civic DX Hatch - Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Default 1987 Honda Civic DX Hatch - Electrical problems

Hello, I am new to the site and new to the Honda Civic world in general. I have a 1987 Honda Civic Hatchback DX that I was given from my father in law. My wife and I have run it for the last 8 or 9 years. It has recently developed an electrical problem, and I feel it is time to let the old girl go. My question is would this part me worth parting out or trying to sell? Or should I just tow it to the junkyard? I have no idea what the demand of stuff like this would be, I am a muscle car guy. I know this is my first post and I apologize, but if anyone is interested in anything from it let me know. I have a 100% ebay feedback and also perfect feedback on other forums (bansheehq.com).

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Before towing it away or parting it out, list your symptoms. Maybe we can help you track down the electrical gremlins and exterminate them. Does it still run fine? Is the body and paint still in decent shape? If so, a mechanically and electrically sound vehicle is worth more selling to a private party than to let go at a junk yard.

(And with gas prices on the rise again, it could come in handy to have a fuel efficient Civic on standby.)

Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM

I would definately like to get her running again. Mostly like you said since gas is going back up to $4+ bucks a gallon. I love it as a puddle jumper.
It is in overall pretty good shape. The quarters do have rust starting, and the clearcoat is peeling on the hood and roof, but all in all it is pretty solid.
Before the electrial deal it ran great.

The problem began back in December. The battery was weak and with the single digit temps here in PA it was time for a new battery. I went to Advanced Auto and picked up a battery. It ran well for about a month, but then one day I was heading to work and the radio just shut off. I did not think anything of it (maybe just a bad connection with the harness) since the car was still running good. I got to work, shut it off. When I went to leave it was dead. I got it jumped and limped it home. At this point nothing electrical worked (wipers/lights/etc.).

I took the battery back to Advanced and their tester said it had a bad cell. I thought good, that was it. They replaced it I put the new one in, and about two days later the same thing happened. I thought what were the chances of that happening twice, but they did replace the battery again. The next day it died again.

Since then I have been afraid to drive it. I can jump it and it will idle forever, but as soon as I go to take it anywhere or shut it off, it acts as if the battery is dead. I had the alternator rebuild less that a year ago, and since it seems to be a sudden death, I dont think that is the problem. If anyone have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 AM

I went ahead and renamed this thread and moved it to the tech section for more views. The forum is slow on weekends but we have some good troubleshooting guys.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 AM