Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1988 civic LX - Auto trans hard shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
HCF Member
Default 1988 civic LX - Auto trans hard shifting.

A previous owner replaced the tranny with a junkyard special.

It's shifted a little hard between all gears since I got it in October, be it around town or on the freeway.

Today though, going in/out of first gear shifts REALLY hard.
Second to fourth gear not so much (as it's always been).

I searched the forum, but I'm not sure on this year where/if there is anything I can diagnose on my own when it comes to the tranny.

I saw mention of TPS, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Sidenote...
I can shift the tranny from park to any position with the key out of the ignition, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:05 PM
HCF Member

Just as a followup...

The CEL is not on, but does pass bulb check when you first turn on the key.

The ECU led is flashing 16 times, over and over - Code 16 Fuel Injector.

I'm not ready to tackle fuel injectors just yet, would like to get a handle on this transmission thing as I really don't have the capabilities to work on engine/tranny in a major way.

I really have no clue when it comes to transmissions,
so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think that transmission is completely mechanically controlled. Instead of a sensor there is a pull cable from the throttle to the transmission. When you floor the gas, it tells the transmission to stay in the lower gear longer for better acceleration. If the cable is not working the transmission will do that all the time, the engine will rev too high and then finally shift, even if you are not flooring the gas.

If you don't know how old the fluid is, draining and refilling with Honda fluid wouldn't hurt.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
I think that transmission is completely mechanically controlled. Instead of a sensor there is a pull cable from the throttle to the transmission. When you floor the gas, it tells the transmission to stay in the lower gear longer for better acceleration. If the cable is not working the transmission will do that all the time, the engine will rev too high and then finally shift, even if you are not flooring the gas.

If you don't know how old the fluid is, draining and refilling with Honda fluid wouldn't hurt.
I just looked, you're right. There is a cable going to a paddle-lever of sorts to the transmission and it moves in tandem with the accelerator. Actually both the accelerator and transmission cables connect to the exact same point.

I'll take a look at the fluid, this is getting to be beyond my capabilities.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated!