Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 honda civic dx hatchback wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Default RE: 1989 honda civic dx hatchback wont start

I understand that your [:@]and i dont want to sound patrnoising or anything, but the only way to find out what is wrong is to check everything one by one even if you know it is fine. Like when you working with bolts or whateverand you drop one, you know you dropped it in the kitchen, but some how the little bugger seems to finda way into the living room, maybe its a bad analogy but i know what i mean.
Just go through everything... because it could be a combination of two things, say your alternator, and sods law says that something completly different just had to go and break at exactly the same time... you will get it in the end, and its bound to be the last thing left to check

Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
HCF Member

allright i guess ill check that. i dunno about the compression test tho i dont have the money to shell out. but i may have to. so as to him saying disconnect the fuel line. theirs the fuel filter, my grandfather said that can be dirty and said to disconnect it and blow into it "hes a old foagie hes used to those cylindral fuel filters with holes on both ends lol. but im smelling fuel when i try and start it so maybe should i still check?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:37 AM

you say you smell fuel... from inside the car???? or from under the bonnet (hood) i dont think you should be able to smell fuel strongly, i meant disconnect a fuel line from near the engine, say off the fuel rail, though it could be the injectors are not working, not quite sure how to check that.....

Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Loosen the gas cap to release any pressure in the tank. Disconnect the return line which starts at the regulator on the left (driver's) side of the throttle body where it goes to a metal line at the firewall which leads back to the gas tank. Direct the disconnected hose into a container and turn the key on (not necessary to crank). Fuel should come out for a couple of seconds while the pump is running.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 AM
HCF Member

lol ill try that. the other guy said take it off and let her squirt lol isnt that sorta dangerous lmao. my uncles gona come check it out this weekend like i said i dont have the tools/resources or brains to do all this. im a ****ing computer geek/repair tech lol. if switchin out a engine was as easy as a processor then thatd be facking dandy lmao! thanks for all your posts and help. and ill let ya kno

Old 01-09-2008, 12:12 PM
HCF Member

I DUNNO SOMETHIN JUST HIT ME. COULD THE ENGINE NOT START BECAUSE ITS FLOODED WITH FUEL. THE DUDE WHO PUT IN MY ALT SAID HOLD DOWN THE GAS AND TRY TO START IT. COULD THAT BE POSSIBLE. AND IF IT IS SHOULD I TAKE THE PLUGS OUT AND LET IT SIT FOR A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:44 PM

if you keep trying to start it over and over it will get flooded...

Old 01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

i kno bro what im saying is im wondering if we coulda flooded it when we tried to start it the first time, then he plug in the alternator then it wont start. should i pull the plugs for 30 mins?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:51 PM

if it was a while ago then there should be no need, pulling the plugs just speeds it up a bit

Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 AM
HCF Member

ok i went outside to go play with it again "mention its bloddy cold." well my friend said to send him a 3g2 video off my phone of it starting and i found a tool 2 convert it so here it is http://youtube.com/watch?v=P-2yfVMPOgE BUT I RIPPED THE DAMN FUEL FILTER OFF AND BLEW IN ONE END "AND YES GOT A BUNCH OF SODDING GAS IN MY FACE, WHATEVER. SO THAT SEEMED COOL. I PUT THE NUTS BACK ON IT NICE AND TITE,. PUT THE BRACKET BACK ON, GOT THE BOTTOM PART IN THE LIP AND REBOLTED IT BACK TO THE FIREWALL. THEN I PULLED THE SPARK PLUGS AND CLEANED EM ****ING DANDY HAVE A PEEK BUT YEAH ANYONE KNO THE SPARK PLUG GAP? I CLEANED EM AND SCRAPED THE ELECTRODES. I THINK THEIR AT .44 NOT SURE, AND ONCE THEIR GAPPED SHOULD I THROW THE BUGGERS BACK AND IN TRY TO START IT? OR SHOULD I WAIT 30 MINS SO THE ENGINES GAS CAN EVAPORATE

Quick Reply: 1989 honda civic dx hatchback wont start