Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1991 civic lx fuel filter question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

I can't get either one to budge. Why the hell do i have so many freaking problems with this EFFin car?.

OK, let me try this 1 last time.
Drivers side fitting- is connected with a 12 mm service bolt. That is threaded into a fixed 17 mm nut, which is attached to the Special Banjo Bolt, and that apparently is threaded into the filter body.
The Special Banjo Bolt is not a metric size apparently, and the only thing that i can get any kind of tight grip on it with is an adjustable open faced wrench, due to its weird shape.
So we got the 12 mm, with a washer, going into 17 mm fixed nut, going into S S bolt.
Now what of these 3 objects need to have a wrench /socket , on it?
If more than 1, do they both get turned in a counter clockwise motion?.
Does a breaker bar become an essential tool to break 1 of these nuts/bolts loose?.
This shouldn't be so Effin hard to remove, but apparently, anything to do with repairs on this car, is a murphy's law.
Thank you for your replies, and hopefully i can get this thing off with out having to replace both fuel lines.
I see that as my only alternative if i cannot remove this filter.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by tomp
Turn the bolts on top to remove??? I guess i am making it harder than it seems, because now i am really lost .
On the chart it just two bolts, # 26 & #27, loosen this out first then loosen the bracket to remove. Dude, if you local I'll take it out for you..

Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by droopy128
On the chart it just two bolts, # 26 & #27, loosen this out first then loosen the bracket to remove. Dude, if you local I'll take it out for you..
There is no way taking out bolts 26 and 27 is going to get this thing out.
26 is a service bolt that is 12 mm and when that is removed you are saying that is the only bolt i have to remove from that side? Are you sure about that? or are
you EFFIN with me?.
What about that thing called the "special banjo bolt", and the 17 mm nut attached to it?. You are telling me no wrench needs to be placed on them for this filter to come out?.

Either you guys are not looking at the same fuel filter i have in this car, or this one has been modified somehow.
What am i missing here??.
ON the right side, there is only 1 bolt that needs to be removed, i get that.
On the left side there are 3 things that a wrench can be placed on, again, unless i have a fuel filter that no one has ever seen or changed before.
Like i said, there is a 12 mm bolt on the top, that is threaded into a 17 mm nut , which is attached to this other bolt which is labeled "SPECIAL BANJO BOLT. according to the HAYNES MANUAL, illustration 40. 13 , in chapter 1-32.
I will stop now, and take a breath.

NOW, on this side, are you telling me that all i have to do is remove this 12 mm bolt,and nothing else?. That has to be wrong!!!.
The new filter i can visually see has threads, what is threaded into this, the special banjo bolt, or the 17 mm attached nut.?
There is no way i am getting this filter off by removing 2 service bolts, and removing the bracket which houses the filter.
The banjo bolt and nut are still going to be threaded into it?, or again, am i missing something here?>
Look at the diagram and see bolt # 25, which haynes calls the special banjo bolt. I also notice the picture does not show a 17 mm fixed nut that is attached to it. I don't know why, but i don't see it, nor do i see it on the diagram picture in the Haynes manual.
So bolt #25, does it need to be wrenched out, or will the filter just come out by removing JUST bolt 25, bolt 27, then the brackets.?
It just cannot be that simple~~~!.

Last edited by tomp; 10-04-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: info
Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 AM
HCF Member

It seems like you have more parts than you see in diagram from Haynes or IPC from Honda. And outlet banjo is not coming out for that reason.

This is what I would do,,,,,
Loosen fuel filler cap = release pressure from tank and prevent from pressure building up during the work.
Loosen #26 = release pressure from rest of fuel system.
Remove #27, #28, #44 and #8 = remove filter and fuel hose as an assembly.
Purchase #4, #5, #25, #29 and #30 as needed from JY or Honda.
Install all parts in accordance with diagram and maintenance manual.
Tighten fuel filler cap.

Index numbers are based from earlier post.
This work will restore your car to OE standard.

I am saying this without seeing actual car.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 AM
HCF Member
Default IT"S OUT!!! no damage!!

I needed 2 more hands to get this thing off and it worked!!!.
1 pair to turn wrench, other pair to jam crow bar in bracket so filter would not budge!!. Thanx for all your help guys!!.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

so just curious, how simple is it??

Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by droopy128
so just curious, how simple is it??
It wasn't simple doing it by myself. Needed another pair of hands to wrench, while i kept that filter from moving. Man, those things were in there so EFFIN tight!!.
It had to be the original!!. Thank you all for your help and patience with me!!.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
HCF Member

You could have taken the filter out of the car as I described on earlier post.
After the assembly is out, you could have held it with bench vise.
Remove "the special banjo bolt" with proper size wrench.
If it is too tight, you could strike the wrench with mallet while you make sure the wrench does not slip off of "the special banjo bolt".

I think I used striking technique when I was replacing my filter which was still on firewall.
Maybe engine was out at that time,,,,.