Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1992 Honda Civic LX Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Default 1992 Honda Civic LX Oil consumption

Ok all I have a 1992 Honda Civic LX with 133k. About 5k ago I found that my valve cover gasket was bad. I then replaced the Valve cover gasket with a new honda part not an aftermarket part. After that I noticed I was losing more oil than before.

I had no leaks on under the car I checked everywhere I even put cardboard under the car after I drove it to see if anything was leaking and found nothing. I also had no blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. With more inspection I found a thick black carbon build up on my tailpipe, and oil specs on my bumper and trunk with no oil under the car. I asked around and was told it most likely could be the valve seals maybe dried out, and oil was passing threw the exhaust valve seal and pouring out my tailpipe.

So with that I purchased a gasket kit to do my head gasket the valve seals and valve cover and anything else on the top end of the motor. I then had the work done. After about 600 miles the same problem started to happen again. Still no blue smoke, no oil leak that can be seen anywhere. Other than the oil specs on the bumper and trunk.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

I'm not sure how your catalytic converter isn't burning up the oil.

Did you check your valve guide clearances when changing out the stem seals? this is important

Old 11-28-2011, 03:49 PM

I will ask the guy that did the work and get back to you..

I am sure my converter is burning a little when it gets hot but I have asked people I know that have driven behind me and they say no blue smoke. I know it smokes a little bit when its cold in the morning but that goes away after the motor heats up.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:34 PM
HCF Member
Cool Leaking it out or burning it off

You're either leaking it out or burning it off. Investigate more to find out where and how it is happening. How about valve seals or spark plug gaskets?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

How much oil are you losing a day, week, or month?

Is there any oil at all on the exterior of the engine?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:50 AM

So I did some research on this.. No oil at all on exterior of the motor. no oil leaking anywhere but into my exhaust pipe. My cat was clogged with oil so I replaced that. I had a compression test done and found both cycl 2 and 4 had low compression. no remember all new seals from head gasket to valve cover. that includes valve seals. and I am not burning any oil at all its passing in liquid form right into my exhaust. Something with the valves might be the problem but I am not sure where to go next.