Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1995 Honda Civic DX engine shuts off while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Default 1995 Honda Civic DX engine shuts off while driving...

Hi,
I have a 1995 Honda Civic DX that the engine shuts off about once a month while I am driving. When this happen, I just shift the car to neutral (while the car is still in motion), turn the ignition key to start the engine again, then shift it back to drive and everything is fine.

My mechanic tried to diagnosis the problem, but he can reproduce the problem since it only happens about once a month. So he told me to wait until it get worst.

On my car, I have aftermarket power door locks. So when i start the engine, the doors automatically lock. When I turn off the engine, the doors automatically unlock. I noticed that when the engine does die when I'm driving, the doors also automatically unlock. The car acts as if somebody actually turn the key to turn off the engine. Does this mean that it has to do with a bad electrical connection from the key to the engine?

My car is 100% stock. It has 110,000 miles on it. It has never broke with the exception of regular wear and tear. Please help!!! Any advice would be helpful. I'm afraid the engine will die while I'm making a left turn at a busy intersection. Also, when this occurs, it normally happens within the first 10 minutes of driving. It happens more often on cold days when the outside temperature is below 60 degrees.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM

I talked to a mechanic who asked me if I had a kill switch connected to my alarm. I told him yes and he said it's possible the alarm wire to kill the engine is loose. So I'm thinking about disconnecting my alarm.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When it stops, note if the oil and battery lights on the dash come on. They should come on any time the key is on but the engine is not turning. If they don't it could be the kill feature of the alarm, or the key switch itself.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
When it stops, note if the oil and battery lights on the dash come on. They should come on any time the key is on but the engine is not turning. If they don't it could be the kill feature of the alarm, or the key switch itself.
I don't remember if the battery and oil light was on. I will let you know when it happens again. Thanks. That really valuable insight.