Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 civc ex bad air condenser fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Default 1998 civc ex bad air condenser fan

Guys I need some advice in regards to my 1998 Honda Civc EX ac. The ac was cycling on and off it actually turned out that it was a pound and a half low on Freeon while we were adding the Freeon I noticed the air condenser fan was not turning on. However if I turned the fan with my hand it would start working so I'm hoping that this is just a bad fan. Anyway I'm interested in seeing what you guys think.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

That Civic only needs about 20 oz of R-134a starting from absolutely empty. Check the sticker under the hood for the exact amount. If you put a "pound and an half," in that is too much. Also if it was absolutely empty when you started there must be a rather major leak. But the system will not "cycle on and off" when low on refrigerant (if absolutely empty, it will not start at all. If a little low it will run steadily but not get cold inside the car). So I think your diagnosis of needing refrigerant may have been wrong in the first place.

I think there is a ground wire near the condenser for the fan. Make sure it is connected OK. Unplug the fan and connect it to the battery with two jumper wires. If it doesn't run, it's bad. The fan can be replaced without removing the condenser or disconnecting any A/C lines. After fixing the fan, you should have the system evacuated and recharged to the proper amount.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 AM

Ok I just read an old thread where someone else was having the same problem in that thread a fan motor was discussed. So I would like to know could it be a fan motor in my case like I said if I turn the fan it starts running. Ok I'm also a little confused on the ground wire because if it was a wire would the fan run at all which my fan does run when I give it a push. Also I will have the system charged and checked for leaks after the fan problem is fixed.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When the motor is worn out it can run intermittently like you have. So yes I would agree the motor needs to be replaced.