Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Civic Dx - No Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Default 1998 Civic Dx - No Start

This is my first post, but I have been reading others ones to help me do the tests I have done so far. Looking for some help from the forum if you'll have me.

I picked up a blue 1998 Civic at a tow yard auction and I am trying to get it started. It has been sitting for a couple of months, but everything under the hood is looks intact. The engine turns but will not start.

Here is what I have done so far:

- Added 5 gallons of gasoline and 2 quarts oil

- Check coolant, topped off and it's clean.

- Charged the battery and cleaned the terminals. Cranks good.

- I can hear the fuel pump switch on, fuel pressure is 40-50 psi at fuel filter.

- Spark tester is showing spark on crank at the plug wires.

- Noid Light blinking on all injectors connections.

- Air cleaner OK.

- Cleaned ground straps and negative battery connections.

- Removed the valve cover and top timing belt cover. The timing belt appears OK and is tight.

**I also have a silver 1998 Civic and the ECU from the blue tow-lot car will start and run the silver one with no issues, so the ECU is OK.

Looking for help with the next series of tests/check on my quest. I am considering:

- Checking the spark plugs for fouling
- Checking resistance and cleaning the injectors (it has been sitting)
- Checking the coil (but I do have spark)
- Verify timing (I'll have to read up on this)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

**My 18-year old hit a telephone pole in the silver 1998 Civic, smack in the middle. The air bags deployed but it still starts and drives, no collision insurance. The idea was to find another Civic with a decent body that needs some parts and transfer off the dented one. I took a shot on a tow lot auction and ended up with a decent blue Civic, and two into one will be so much easier if I can get the blue one to start**

Tim.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Test the compression. The engine may be completly blown. Even one bad cylinder makes them very hard to start. This will also have you removing the spark plugs, they need to be checked.

Check the cam timing. If you already have the cover off, rotate the crank to TDC and check the marks on the cam pulley. Then remove distributor cap (leaving wires connected) and check the rotor points to wire #1. Check the firing order (compare to the other car). Swap the distributor off of the other car. Disconnect the fuel return hose and check for a good flow of clean fuel.

Eventually you may end up swapping the engine out of the wrecked car, but it would be good to have some idea of the condition of the one that came with the blue car first.

Last edited by mk378; 06-18-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 AM

Thanks MK'

Compression, Timing, and Fuel. That should keep me busy tonight!

tcj

Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Default Update - The Blue one Starts

The blue Civic started tonight!

I checked the compression and all cylinders were between 135 and 155, not great, but cold engine. What is expected for 180K miles? Spark plug gaps all +0.060, reduced to 0.040.

I disconnected the fuel return line and cranked it to check the fuel, and the first 1/4 cup was mostly water. I kept going until the fuel was clear and hooked the return backup.

To start it, I pressed the throttle all the way to the floor and after about 30 seconds, it fired up. The engine sounds fine. Some exhaust smoke but I think that was the oil I used during the compression test.

Question, when I had the valve cover off to check the timing belt, I removed the two small dabs of silicon at each end. It this a potential leak, and should I replace the gasket?

tcj

Last edited by tcjones76; 06-19-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Additional info