Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Honda Civic Si- Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Default 1998 Honda Civic Si- Won't Start

Hi All,

I have a 98' Civic Si. It was running fine and then over Christmas it sat for a few days and now will not start. I towed it to a shop and the mechanic told me I need a new engine after looking at it for 30 mins. I think thats BS!It has 210,000k (mostly highway) on it. Any ideas of what it would be??

Please Help!!

Kristin Sivyer

Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 1998 Honda Civic Si- Won't Start

More information would help.

What does the mechanic think the problem is?

Were you having any kind of previous engine problems?

Was the engine unable to crank or did it crank but not start?

If you have an ignition or fuel problem, then replacing the engine would seem unnecessary. If you have a compression problem, however, major engine work or engine replacement may be your only option.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:01 AM

The mechanic said that he looked at it for about 30 mins and there was little compression... he said he would tear it all apart and charge the the labour to do that but he said he was 99% sure that he would just be telling me the same thing.. that i need a new engine.

ive got it at another shop right now that specializes in jap imports.. so ill let you know what they say.

thanks so much for your response.
i wish i new more about it all so i could pass along details.. i do know that i kept getting shocked by my car when looking under the hood... could it be a wiring issue??

Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Low compression is a mechanical as opposed to an electrical problem. Getting shocked by the car is unrelated and instead stems from normal build up of static charge on you or the car.

Additional tests can reveal whether the low compression is due to a valve or piston ring problem. These tests don't require the engine to be taken apart. How many of the four cylinders have low compression?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 AM

I wish I had more info to give. I know that he stated there was low compression on at least 2 cylinders. He said that I would need a new engine because he said that once you start replacing things within the engine, you might as well just get a new one. I really dont know much about cars. (must be a girl thing) but I am having someone look at it today. Ill let ya know what i learn from them.
Thanks for everything!!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM

oh yeah and the 1st mechanic i took it to did mention something about piston heads or some sort of head that may be bent/dented from hitting the top?? does this have something to do with my timing?? i really dont know the lingo.. hope this gives you a better idea...

Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Did your timing belt slip or break, permitting the pistons to collide with the valves? If so, expensive repairs or engine replacement may be the only fix.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 AM

not the answer I wanted to hear... but thanks soooo much for your assistance on this. Do you know where I can find a cheap engine??