Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Civic Dying / Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Default 1999 Civic Dying / Stalling

1999 Civic Dying / Stalling

About three week ago I recently bought a 1999 Civic LX 4dr, Automatic. It has 103,000 miles and looks to be maintained.

The previous owner started having issues where the car would just randomly die / stall on him at a stop light or while driving. Never in any certain pattern or circumstance. This happened about 6 mos. ago and the car has been setting up since.

Seeing as the car had been sitting for quite a while, I figured that I would start with some routine tune-up tasks for me to know where I'm at and keep the car in good shape. Here's what I've done so far.

* I replaced the battery, because it wouldn't hold a charge.
* New spark plugs (NGK).
* New spark plug wires (NGK) .
* Seafoam treatment (Gas tank & Vacuum line).

Until this last week I had no issues or experience with the car dying. This week it died on me a couple of times right after it started. I was always able to start the car immediately afterwards. Yesterday it died on me while I was cruising down the highway. I was going about 65-70 mph and the tach went to zero and the car was dead. I put the car in neutral, coasted to a stop on the side of the highway, turned the ignition off, and then put it in park. The car immediately started back up and I made it home with no further issues.

I've searched on here for answers and have found several threads that were similar, but with no follow up or exact remedy. Is there someone out there that has had this problem and actually found a solution that can chime in and help me out?

I've read about the following.

* Distributor needing replaced. (I plan to do this anyway.).
* Ignition...
* IAC...
* Grounds...

In all of my instances I have never had the Check Engine Light come on. So I'm assuming there are no codes to pull.

When I changed the plugs they were way past due (wore to .085), but looked good as far condition (brownish, no fouling).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DK

Last edited by doneking; 07-23-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Chubby Chaser

does the cel come on for 2 secs when you first turn the key on then go off?
sounds to me like it could be a main fuel relay or ignition switch

Old 07-24-2010, 04:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When it dies see if the oil and battery lights come on. They would normally be on when the key is on but engine not running. If they are out, try jiggling the key and if that makes them come on, bad ignition switch.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 AM

I'll try and pay closer attention when it does it again. But from what I remember, there were no lights at all when it dies. It is just as if you had turned the key off while driving down the street.

I've checked the CEL and it works as far as putting it in the ON (II) position. It comes on and then goes out with all of the rest of the dummy lights when the ignition is turned to on.

I picked up a new Distributor Cap, Rotor, and Seal and plan on replacing them today if I have time.

Someone suggested to take it by an auto parts store and get them to check and see if the Ignition Control Module was working properly.

Thanks,

DK

Old 07-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Just replaced the Distributor Cap, Seal, And Rotor. When I started the car to check and see if everything would run, it started right up. Then in about ten seconds it quit like it has been doing.

Originally Posted by mk378
When it dies see if the oil and battery lights come on. They would normally be on when the key is on but engine not running. If they are out, try jiggling the key and if that makes them come on, bad ignition switch.
No lights whatsoever were on after it died. Car was dead with the ignition still on.

I tried jiggling the keys in the ignition and nothing. After trying that, I turned the ignition into the off position and then re-started it. It started with no problem. Took it for about a ten minute ride and nothing.

DK

Old 07-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Chubby Chaser

so it sounds lke a bad ignition switch. esy fix, take cover off steering column and on the back of the ignition is 2 screws, unscrew it and pull it off then follow it to the fuse box where it plugs in and unplug it then replace it.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=78988

Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Default ** update **

I've taken my car in to the dealership and they replaced the ignition switch under the recall. So far it seems as though the problem has been fixed. I'll have to be patient though because the problem was so random that it may not be fixed and just hasn't picked a time to act up.

As of now...Problem solved, but I'll repost additional info if this repair doesn't do the trick.

Thanks for everyone's help.

DK