Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2 noise related questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:33 AM
Default 2 noise related questions

I am new to the forum, so please bear with me.

I have a 2000 Civic AT. Starting the engine cold and reversing I am hearing a hissing/buzzing/squeak sound coming from behind the dash. It is difficult to pinpoint if it is coming from the engine compartment (which I am sure it is) because the sound goes away when I engage in park and get out.

Also, when driving at higher speed, 50+, I get a sound like a few metal washers on a metal rod. The sound is loud in the passenger compartment, but is coming from the engine compartment, because I can hear the sound bounce off the concrete. Again, it is difficult to pinpoint because it only happens at higher speeds.

Any thoughts of where to start?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM
HCF Member

The easiest thing to do is to have someone in the car and put the car in reverse while you listen with the hood open. make sure that person's foot is on the brake pedal. this way you don't have to be sitting in the car trying to isolate a sound from the engine compartment.

the 2nd sounds seems to indicate that something is loose. I'd look at all the motor mounts personally. it could also be the heat shield rattling as well though this is most noticeable at idle.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I think both sounds could possibly be a loose exhaust heat shield. Put the front end on stands and check whether any of the shields are loose or cracked.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
I think both sounds could possibly be a loose exhaust heat shield. Put the front end on stands and check whether any of the shields are loose or cracked.
As far as the first sound, it is more of a hiss/whistle.

I thought it might be a shield, but would that explain why I get the sound when traveling at higher speeds, it usually stops when I bring the speed belo 50.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by shablitz84
As far as the first sound, it is more of a hiss/whistle.
I had a cracked heat shield that produced a high pitched whistle/squeak sound at times.

I thought it might be a shield, but would that explain why I get the sound when traveling at higher speeds, it usually stops when I bring the speed belo 50.
Not common for an exhaust shield; however, sounds that rely on vibration can manifest under a variety of conditions, so it's worth looking into.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
I had a cracked heat shield that produced a high pitched whistle/squeak sound at times.

Not common for an exhaust shield; however, sounds that rely on vibration can manifest under a variety of conditions, so it's worth looking into.
I'll take a look at it later tonight.