Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Civic VP (automatic), weird idle when a/c on

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by PotatoSlaw
Well, I think you solved my problem! The fan is not functioning properly. I don't know if it's bad connections or the fan itself, but that's good enough for me. I can hardly get it to come on at all at idle. I think I had to rev the engine and it ran for a little bit and stopped. Any idea how much it would cost if i went to the dealership, or is this something any shop should be able to fix very easily without f'ing my car up? I hate it that I just got back from my Honda guy doing the tune-up (he lives a good distance away) and am just now figuring this out. But thank you very very much. This has likely made my day, believe it or not.
Replacing a fan is pretty easy, if that's the problem. To test, run power and ground wires directly from the battery to the fan. If the fan does not run continuously and strongly, then replace it. Buy a new OEM fan (e.g., from Majestic Honda or your local Honda dealer) and install it yourself.

Glad to help out.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Well, you had to know there was a 50/50 chance I'd be back. I do believe the condenser fan may not be operating correctly, but I'm not sure if that's the only/main problem.

I went out there at work and started it up and ran it a bit and it seemed obvious the condenser fan wasn't being too consistent. I drove home, kept the engine running until the idle was really sounding bad, looked at the condenser fan and it was indeed spinning. The idle sounded terrible at one point where the rough bit lasted a good 10 seconds (which I don't think has ever really happened) or so, but the fan was turning the whole time. Was it turning full speed? I have no idea. The a/c definitely seems to be sucking unless you're at a good speed. I wish I could better describe the rough sound. Almost like a pulsing hiccup after pulsing hiccup.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You could measure the high side refrigerant pressure with a gauge manifold, that will tell if fan performance is adequate.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 AM

Well, I've been staring at the condenser fan every time I drive somewhere and stop. It is definitely not running consistently or seems to slow up at times. I just wonder why. I'm not sure I'm willing to attempt some of the testing myself, but I welcome all possibilities.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

With the car off, spin the fan by hand, it should turn freely and not wobble. If not, the bearings are shot and it should be replaced.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:18 PM

OK, so I am pretty certain based on more research that it is the condenser fan motor. I've seen some instructions for replacing the entire assembly. Are there any different instructions just for changing the motor? Do I have to take the whole thing out either way? If I buy OEM, I just want to pay for the motor as it is expensive. Or would it just be easier to by an aftermarket assembly?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I see that Majestic does sell just the motor, but it's $117. I didn't realize it was that expensive. I would now price aftermarket condenser fan motors at some of your local auto parts stores.