Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 SI problems need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Default 2000 SI problems need help!

I recently purchased a 2000 SI from a private seller. I made a mistake and didn't get it checked out first. Well the car uses a LOT of oil, I was wondering how big of a problem this will be. I already asked the honda dealer and they said depending on what it is, it would be best to replace the whole engine...that doesn't seem to be an cheap option.

Next I'm wondering what other people's SI's RPM's are at high speeds, my car at 78mph the rpms are at roughly 4000. I had a 98 civic (automatic) that didn't run this high so it just seems like there could be an issue. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated!

Josh

Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2000 SI problems need help!

get a second opinion.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

I'd swap the motor out, you'll be better off. Get a better motor that uses little if any oil, or else you will be spending a **** load on oil, and the engine will probably crap out on you sometime down the road anyway.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:35 PM

Time to upgrade, b18c swap or another b16a swap. As for the rpms at speed, that sounds about right. 70mph is around 4000ish rpm. S4C five speeds are geared short. Sometimes I wish my car had a 6th gear.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 PM

I'm hoping not to have to swap it. THe dealer said though that it would never run the same, so I'm not sure. I'm getting it actually looked at by them on wed so I hope they will have somme good news.
As for the RPM thanks that makes me feel more comfortable.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:46 PM

I dunno man, swaps are fun. I've never done one in my own cars, but I've helped my friends with a few.

My advice about the engine if you decide to rebuild it; get the advice from the Honda dealership, but take it to a reputable shop that isn't Honda.The one around here is 90 an hour, and replacing rings entails taking apart quite a bit of the engine.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Definitely get a second (or even third) opinion before you throw a bunch of money away towards a swap

Try running a compression test too. If you can get by with just having the rings replaced, there is absolutely no reason to pay for a swap. Might as well just drive down the highway and throw money out the window

Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 AM

Ok guys, thanks for all the great help! Now on to some simple questions for you but noob questions for me! What compression ratings should I be getting (just getting into car engines so I don't know anything really)?

Also it seems like the Vtec is NOT kicking in at 5500. Well it's not kicking in at all actually. I know with my 98 ex the car had to be warm before the vtec would work. But I honestly can't hear the vtec at all in this car.

Oh and somebody told me that when I shift the oil smoke is blueish, i've heard it's a good thing, but what can you tell by the color of smoke the oil is?
Once again thanks in advance!
Josh

funny they block the word vtec lol

Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: acidlittle

Ok guys, thanks for all the great help! Now on to some simple questions for you but noob questions for me! What compression ratings should I be getting (just getting into car engines so I don't know anything really)?

Also it seems like the Vtec is NOT kicking in at 5500. Well it's not kicking in at all actually. I know with my 98 ex the car had to be warm before the vtec would work. But I honestly can't hear the vtec at all in this car.

Oh and somebody told me that when I shift the oil smoke is blueish, i've heard it's a good thing, but what can you tell by the color of smoke the oil is?
Once again thanks in advance!
Josh

funny they block the word vtec lol
Only when it's spelled wrong

Blue smoke means you're burning oil. Not having vtec leads me to believe that there are probably a few things wrong with your motor. Are you getting any trouble codes?

There really is no set numbers that you should get from the compression test. Just follow my DIY and run the test, then compare the numbers, they should be within 10% of each other

Old 07-24-2007, 08:07 AM

gotcha on the vtec thing.

Yeah the check engine light is on, and the guy told me it was because he put a SRI on it. I'm taking the whole thing into the honda dealer tomorrow to see what they say the code is. Should there be a sensor hooked up into the SRI? Cos I know on my 98 ex I put an AEM CAI on it and forgot to hook up a sensor and got horrible gas mileage.
This just has a plastic pipe going from the SRI to the valve cover, so I'm thinking there is a piece missing. I was probably going to order an AEM SRI to replace the current one because it's crap in my opinion (plus it's blue to match the car but I don't like it...)
thanks again

Quick Reply: 2000 SI problems need help!