Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 SI problems need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:15 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: 2000 SI problems need help!

this is the motor your car was supposed to have. look at the intake manifold.

now look at your engine and read the code off of the block next to the transmission. Does it say B16A2, or B18C1?

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/252FCF3D4CD0457B9B2C07F2EA90FDA0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-25-2007, 05:32 AM

As always you are correct guys, it is a b18c.
LOL most people would like to have a b18c in their civics, and I'm the crazy person who just wanted a stock SI nothing more nothing less.
Well the car is at the honda dealer now so we will see what the CEL will reveal and why the sucker is using so much oil...I will report back when I hear more information!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:16 PM

OK, so got the car back from the dealer, and holy crap this is going to take some guidance from you all on this board!

First things first, the car does have the GSR b18c in it. However, whoever did the change did NOT change out the computer, which they said should be a P72, that could be why the car is isn't mixing right, and why the spark plugs burnt out to nothing so fast. So we got the plugs fixed, but not the computer...yet.
So the codes I threw were:
P1475 Evap Leak
P0302 Misfire (should be taken care of with the plugs correct?)
P0171 Fuel Metering Lean

I also realized the car was in a wreck salvaged then stolen so what a wonderful car I think I bought. So here are my options...
Try and get my cash back for the whole car, since I bought it under the false claims that it was "all stock except the intake and that the CEL was because of the SRI installed."
OR
Get the P72 computer install it myself and see if it takes care of the problems...drawback being if the rings need to be replaced that's just throwing away money in the computer, and they told me my 3rd gear syncro is going to need fixing.
last
Replace the whole bloody engine and take her back to a stock b16a2 like I wanted in the first place, getting the whole engine, tranny and all that love in one swoop taking care of mulitple problems but costing more initially.

If anybody has any other ideas, insight or anything really that'd be grand. I don't want to get another B18c engine because all I want is a solid, quick little civic that I can lightly modify not to go super fast but to be a DD and look sharp.
Thanks
Josh

Old 07-25-2007, 05:07 PM
HCF Member

Good lord, talk about an honest seller. Didn't you do a carfax on it before you bought it? Anyways, I say sell it and buy a stock SI like you wanted. Be sure to carfax it, get it checked out by a mechanic, and ask the seller for maintainance records before you buy it. My 2 cents...

Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 PM

the only thing is I doubt I will be able to get the same cash outta this car. Who knows maybe I can repost it and still have somebody give me some cash for it. I guess if I can get out of this with oweing as little as possible I will be lucky... Any more opinions?????

Old 07-26-2007, 05:20 AM
mxs
HCF Member

There are a lot of potential solutions. What state do you live in? That will matter.
Also, B18C is a Japanese engine. B18C1 is US. Which is it? If it were the Japanese version I would think you would be getting more codes (VTEC pressure sensor, CKF sensor)

P1475 Evap Leak
Could be your gas cap wasn't tightened all the way. Or, someone messed up with the installation of your evap system.

P0302 Misfire (should be taken care of with the plugs correct?)
Could also be your distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires. Those are worth replacing

P0171 Fuel Metering Lean
the ECU is only sending enough fuel for a 1.6L engine, not a 1.8. It should be able to compensate though...

Old 07-26-2007, 03:19 PM

I know it wasn't the gas cap not being tight enough because I always twist it about 10 clicks...
I think the plugs took car of the misfire, cos they were shot to crap when I saw them.

As for the ECU is that something that would make a difference if I did replace it?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

It might, I actually have one if youre interested in buying it. I have the same motor in my civic. Its a great engine when installed correctly. Honestly Id try to take it back, considering you did buy it under falce pretenses. Good luck

Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: acidlittle

As for the ECU is that something that would make a difference if I did replace it?
of course! it would make a huge difference.

but I still want to know what state you live in. That will dictate what ECU would be best. I'll explain later

Old 07-26-2007, 08:28 PM

I'm in iowa, and curious as to what difference it will make on the car. I'm not wanting to race the car just something I can use as a DD.

Quick Reply: 2000 SI problems need help!