Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Honda Civic EX Electronic Door Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Default 2002 Honda Civic EX Electronic Door Lock Problem

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and hoping to find some knowledgable kind sole, who can offer some information on a nagging problem. Actually, its my wife that is the nagging problem, but I'm not looking for help with her, rather with the repair of her door. Hopefully if I get that fixed, the nagging problem will fix itself.

It seems that her drivers door won't lock or unlock electronicly or with the inside manual lock for that matter. (that is stuck in the up position) The only way to lock/unlock the door is with the key.

So I guess my first question , is it the door actuator that is bad? Anyone had any experience with these? If that is the problem, is there a good place to purchase parts like this, besides the dealer?

thanks in advacne for any help,

My email address is mplesh@propmakers.com

mike

Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Default RE: 2002 Honda Civic EX Electronic Door Lock Problem

Try holding the interior handle open while pushing the autolock button. They don't want you to accidentally lock the keys in the car!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:44 PM

That works. thanks!

I bought a replacement actuator at Honda today. Only $25+ tax. Parts clerk said they had 4 on hand for the left door, as they break often. (that's reassuring) This turns out to be more of a job than I anticipated and a struggle all the way through. I had to go fetch an "impact screwdriver" to remove the 3 screws holding the door latch mechanism. I got that far and then got stuck tonight trying to remove the clip holding the linkage to the outside door pull lever (there has to be a secret to getting that off). Once I figure that out, or break it, I think I can get the entire assembly out and replace the actuator...... I would rate this as a 10 beer job so far, and still haven't removed the defective part!

thanks for all your help,

mikee
mplesh@propmakrers.com

Oh, if anyone knows how to get the linkage clip off the outside door pull, please tell!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
HCF Member

wait wait. if it works to hold the handle open (which it should.. just a safety feature) why are you replacing the actuator????

Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 PM

Yeah thats normal to have to hold the interior door handle for the drivers door to lock. Its a safety feature. Dont replace something that doesnt need replacing, because your still going to have to hold the handle to lock it even if you do replace the actuator. Thats un needed work[sm=tongue.gif]

Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Thanks guys..... I am replacing the actuator as the keyless entry does not work. The actuator does not open or close the door lock any more...... That is what started this entire project

thanks for the replies

mikee