Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Honda Civic EX Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Default 2002 Honda Civic EX Power Loss

2002 Honda Civic 38k miles and I don't drive it too hard. Maintenance has been kept up with. Sparkplugs are new last summer, injector cleaner added to fuel as well as the water remover Heet. . Since the winter time I have had a problem with engine power when driving after the car has been idle for some time(ex. parked at the mall). It'll start but once you start to drive it'll start to sputter, like the engine isn't getting fuel. I'll be pressing the same amount on the pedal but not much happening. I can floor it and it'll pick up and won't happen after the initial 5 mins of driving. The car is also idiling rough. Also noticable loss of power going up hills, which I'm sure happens on the flats but not as noticable Mentioned it to the dealer when I had an oil change but they could not duplicate it, no surprise there. Ok so I did use a fuel system cleaner and replaced the sparkplugs but the problem persists. I've heard it might be the timing as well as the idle control valve. Any ideas? Thank you

P.S.

Ok maybe this might help. I'm determined to figure this out without the dealer. I was leaving the parking lot after shopping and the engine started to cut-out as described before. Instead of gunninng it and continuing on I parked it. I sat there in drive and allowed the car the struggle to reach a normal idle. It sputtered and bucked a little, but I didn't give it any gas(I was parked with my foot on the brake and the car in drive). Eventually it worked itself into a normal idle. Does this help any?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Default RE: 2002 Honda Civic EX Power Loss

Error codes:

P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

Thats the code but my print out says "Manufacurer Contrl. Fuel Air Metering????

P0132 Primary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Primary HO2S) (Sensor 1) Circuit High Voltage

Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Default RE: 2002 Honda Civic EX Power Loss

The heat plate above the catalytic converter is also loose and may be hitting the O2 sensor. Could this be causing a problem?